Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pencil cactus  (Read 1166 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
pencil cactus
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:35:31 am »

Organized space?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: pencil cactus
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:39:20 am »

There is so much going on, it's hard to let the eye relax to only the plant. And, it's not just the plethora of geometrics which challenge me, it's the oblique angles competing for visual acceptance which makes it all too much, in my opinion.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:54:48 pm »

I agree about the competing background.  One possibility: a black backdrop behind the plant, and shooting up so as to remove or minimize the pot; another possibility against the background would be to close in on a portion of the plant from an angle that organizes the field into a pattern of some sort that emphasizes the qualities that attracted you to shoot the plant in the first place.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:45:03 pm »

Thanks for your comments.  I haven't reshot it yet, though I did go back into the raw files.

Tonysx

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:05:27 pm »

Better. I think. Have you tried cropping the right hand side as far as removing the brown chair?
‘Be you ever so high, the law

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:42 am »

Perhaps over-emphasizing the green, adding a deeper contrasting red, and understating the rest of the objects in the frame.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:23:52 am »

Yes, pumping it up has its points, though this morning I have been tearing it down.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:59:55 am »

take it even further by lightening up the background...I'd take it down to the basic grays.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »

I'm not sure which grays are more basic than others, but I generally tried to lighten the background per your suggestion and ended up darkening the cactus.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:03:38 pm by Bruce Cox »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 07:36:58 pm »

I have to agree with Walter, I would simplify the background. Personally, I don't see that any amount of tweaking will get you where you need to be, IMO, and I think re-shooting would emphasize the lovely (and complex) lines of the cactus, color or B/W. Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up