Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: On making big prints using compact cameras  (Read 8969 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: On making big prints using compact cameras
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 03:21:04 am »

People that choose to see only the two lines at the end, well, too bad for them... ;D

Uh, you still aren't getting it. This forum, Luminous-Landscape.com ain't your personal playground to come and try to promote your blog. Get it? if you don't have the time to be a member in good standing here and make useful contributions here, you are not free to come promote your web sit–and believe me when I tell you what you wrote was not a substantial contribution to the general knowledge of the industry–it was just more rhetoric to drive traffic to your site. If you want to read a variety of articles that DO advance the industry, look at all the various posts that Mike and other contributors have posted here on LuLa...and Mike doesn't solicit donations for this web site.

Look, let me tell you even more bluntly that I have been, your sort of self promotion isn't really welcome here...ok? If you want to be a contributing member of this forum, contribute something other than posts announcing self promoting posts to your blog.

Get it yet?

Or, do you need to get banned before you understand what I'm telling you. You wanna play word games? English is my first language...study what I'm telling you carefully.

Schewe

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 03:26:41 am »

Quit it, will you?

Really? Check our relative post counts...that should tell you whether or not I'll quit.

Really, if you spent any real time here (instead of just lurking and posting just for for self promotion), you would realize you are not in a winning position...you may be hot stuff in your neck of the world, but LuLa is a bit, uh, broader in reach and scope.

Which, I suspect, you are trying to take advantage of...tell us something useful HERE without trying to drive traffic to YOUR web site. Can you?

Vieri

• Vieri Bottazzini Fine Art Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 03:30:55 am »

Really? Check our relative post counts...that should tell you whether or not I'll quit.

Really, if you spent any real time here (instead of just lurking and posting just for for self promotion), you would realize you are not in a winning position...you may be hot stuff in your neck of the world, but LuLa is a bit, uh, broader in reach and scope.

Which, I suspect, you are trying to take advantage of...tell us something useful HERE without trying to drive traffic to YOUR web site. Can you?

Why don't you quit harassing me, and stay on topic? I am sure people are tired of your tirades ;D

Schewe

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 03:58:31 am »

Why don't you quit harassing me, and stay on topic? I am sure people are tired of your tirades ;D

Hum, let's see, you are now at post #23 (I suggest readers click on your screen name and see what posts you've contributed to LuLa so far) and now YOU are complaining about me? Really?

What topic? I'm off topic? Really? You have posted self promoting announcements for YOUR blog and don't seem to be interested in posting useful content here on LuLa...and you think I'm off-topic?

Do you know who Mike and I are? Are you familiar with LuLa? (actually, everything you've posted so far indicates you don't have a friggin' clue).

As far as people being tired of my tirades, well, they (and you) know where they (and you) can go...(or at least they or you should).

You still don't get it bud...you are a friggin' guest here. So far, you are misbehaving...some of the "regulars" don't like your approach.

If you come into Mike's living room and fart, some people (like me) are gonna have issues with that. So far, all you seem to be willing/interested in is is sitting around and farting.

Vieri

• Vieri Bottazzini Fine Art Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 04:04:42 am »

Hum, let's see, you are now at post #23 (I suggest readers click on your screen name and see what posts you've contributed to LuLa so far) and now YOU are complaining about me? Really?

What topic? I'm off topic? Really? You have posted self promoting announcements for YOUR blog and don't seem to be interested in posting useful content here on LuLa...and you think I'm off-topic?

Do you know who Mike and I are? Are you familiar with LuLa? (actually, everything you've posted so far indicates you don't have a friggin' clue).

As far as people being tired of my tirades, well, they (and you) know where they (and you) can go...(or at least they or you should).

You still don't get it bud...you are a friggin' guest here. So far, you are misbehaving...some of the "regulars" don't like your approach.

If you come into Mike's living room and fart, some people (like me) are gonna have issues with that. So far, all you seem to be willing/interested in is is sitting around and farting.

OK, I just reported you for keeping harassing me. I don't feel my posting here broke any rule in any way, if you feel that way feel free and report me. Other than that, stop harassing me and stay on topic. I hope that after more than 4.000 messages you know how to do so.

Schewe

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 04:13:27 am »

OK, I just reported you for keeping harassing me.

Oh, cool, that is delicious irony...

Chris, Mike care to say anything? Let's see, Vieri comes to LuLa to self promote than claims I'm "harassing" him?

Yeah, ok, whatever doode...(have you started to get a vib here?)

(naw guys, ya don't need to ban him, just straighten him out a bit)

Dooode, you don't think LuLa is run as a democracy, do you?

This is Mike's place...what Mike says goes (well, often Chris speaks for Mike).

Let's see what happens :~)

The Ute

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:46 am »

Using large format Epson printers I've printed up to 24 x 36 w/o any significant loss of resolution.

This after having taken the photos w. a DP2/1 Merrill.

I find these cameras a joy to use staying within their operating window.

They are lightweight and produce beautiful images.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 08:16:02 am »

Back on topic: since I acquired a larger format printer (24") I have found the most difficult problem using smaller sensor cameras is obtaining critical focus. For me this can only be accomplished on a tripod. An image which may print quite well at say 12 x 18 can be garbage at 24 x 36. Also holding a small p&s, like a Merrill, at arms-length just doesn't work for me. But I have no problem getting large prints from hand-holding a larger sensor camera with a decent viewfinder. So, for me, it all comes down to the viewfinder. I think the manufacturers are working on better solutions and we have seen some pretty good advances with the EVF's so perhaps the future bodes well for them. I'm waiting to see what Sony delivers in the next couple of years.

The Ute

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 08:22:59 am »

I use a hoodman loupe and a clik stick w. mine.

Takes cares of the viewfinder and stability issues for the most part.

The camera is so light that carrying it around on a lightweight tripod is no burden at all.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 10:30:27 am »

Will someone get rid of this guy finally ???

michael

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 11:11:50 am »

Come on guys. Just stay on topic.

Michael

wolfbellw.

• http://www.wolfgang-bellwinkel.de
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 11:16:55 am »

though i agree that this forum is not meant for selfpromoting - but don't we all do that to a certain degree? - and there is some evidence that in this case it plays a role i don't agree with the harsh tone of you replies. sometimes it seems to be better to ignore than starting a war. and as a matter of fact english is indeed not everybodies main language - not mine either - so let's be a bit more tolerant since we usually try our best ;) .

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 12:00:00 pm »

Come on guys. Just stay on topic.

Michael

I would, but there is no topic, other than the invitation to visit his blog.

The OP did not post a single statement, finding, question, example, etc., that would constitute a topic.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 12:22:44 pm »

though i agree that this forum is not meant for selfpromoting - but don't we all do that to a certain degree?...

Sure, Mike, but the operative word here is "degree." We all break the law, some by speeding, some by jaywalking, some as serious killers; wouldn't you agree that the degree matters? There is a subtle self-promotion, clever self-promotion, and then there is an open, blatant, brazen one.

There are several ways OP could have approached the subject:

- by asking Michael to publish his finding as a LuLa article (in which case there would be some peer review as to whether there is something new or interesting there)

- by contributing his opinions to numerous threads on LuLa devoted to either compact cameras or printing

- by posting certain statements, findings, questions, examples, etc. in his post, and then pointing out that more details could be found in his blog

- by including a link to his blog in his signature

- by sending a PM to the moderator asking if it is ok to promote his blog

Tone aside, Mr. Schewe is right. His tone is an acquired taste, but to acquire it, you would have to hang out here a bit longer than the OP.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 12:40:13 pm »

GUYS !! THIS START TO BE INTERESTING  :D ;D

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

M.Piq

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 01:03:35 pm »

SEGREGATION!!!!!!!! ???

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 02:26:46 pm »

Jeff,

The interesting thing is that some cameras have "enlargeable" pixels, and some have "fixed sized" pixels - for instance I found my Leica M8 and my Phase back enlarged incredibly well, I once printed 44" wide from a quarter of a Phase shot.

Viera is telling us the Sigmas are "englargeable".

It would be nice if we had more user reports about which cameras belong to which category, since we are all looking for "pocket rockets".

I hope you will see it fit to share your wide experience with us.

Edmund

I actually have a lot of experience in using both extremely high rez cameras/back as well as smaller, lower rez cameras. I use a Phase One IQ 180 (60MP capture) and often shoot a 4-8 capture stitches...but I've also shot a lot of stuff with various Canon Rebel cameras (and successfully uprezed for larger prints) as well as a Canon S90 uprezzed as well as stitched.

In general, smaller cameras produce less optimal captures that are less sharp to start with (because of less than optimal lenses and less than optimal stabilization) or add a bit to a lot of noise when the ISO is ramped up. All of these sort of basic photo technique issues will impact how far one can upsample a small camera capture.

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up