Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: white ink  (Read 1492 times)

bolleke

white ink
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:27:37 am »

I would like to print white and near-white parts on a transparent media (e.g. an overhead-sheet) to be shown in front of a dark background. Can it be done? If so, by what name is it advertized?

thanks,

Wim

iladi

Re: white ink
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:31 am »

There are printers with white ink. Roland has some, Mimaki, there are some retrofited epsons small flatbeds with white, and some UV  flatbeds with white. Also there is an Epson printing with white:

"Capable of printing directly on both ink jet coated clear and metallic films, in roll or cut sheet, up to 24 inches wide, the Epson Stylus Pro WT7900 can proof virtually any size print job thrown at it.  Whether you're creating contract proofs of various packaging products requiring a clear or metallic base, or producing color accurate packaging mock-ups or prototypes, the Epson Stylus Pro WT7900 can easily proof your most difficult flexographic and gravure print jobs."

So, there are some solutions, BUT I advice you not to buy one, unless you are going to print alot with white.

Why?

1. Usualy, white is not opaque enough and you may end printing white in multiple layers.

2. Daily maintenance. You have to shake the white carts every day. You have to clean the head every day. You have to print (alot) of white every day. Because white pigments are very heavy and they settle down in the carts. The reality is the pigments ends on the bottom of the carts anyways, even if you shake them in a couple months. Some printers have some sofiticated mechanisms to recirculate white ink to prevent deposits. But this is only for the head and tubes, not for the carts.

I have a retrofited Epson 4880 flatbed with white inks and i end replacing white ink with cleaning solution in the carts.

If you have the opportunity, find someone else with a white ink printer and outsource the job. Or outsource the white part of the job to a silkscreen printer and do the color job yourself on tpo of it.

Edit: i almost forgot: it is extremly slow process to print with white
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:49:21 am by iladi »

bolleke

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:53:46 am »

I definitely don't want to print in white myself, but rereading my own question, I must admit that I did give the impression I would. No, for once outsourcing is my prefered option.

Only, when I am questioning Google on the subject, I get tons of explanations of print-shops saying they do not print white ink so the whites will become unprinted areas on a transparent sheet. Obviously, I am not using the right keywords. Links or other help on this topic would be gratefuly appreciated.

iladi

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:59:21 am »

Mabe it is a good ideea to mention where you live.

bolleke

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »

Holland. But we have got mail  :)

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:26:58 pm »

Wim,

Zoek even op de Oce website wie een printer met witte inkt heeft geinstalleerd. Hetzelfde bij Nautasign etc.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

bolleke

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:33:21 pm »

Hoi Ernst,

Ik zie op hun websites niets in die richting. Maar ik kan ze morgen wel even bellen natuurlijk.

groeten,

Wim

Pages: [1]   Go Up