Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup of files while shooting tethered.  (Read 18288 times)

figure1a

Re: Backup of files while shooting tethered.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:48:45 am »

Are you on a Mac? I've been using Apple's Time Machine and it is very fast. My setup is capture tethered to a MacBook Pro Retina with solid state drive which has an external USB3 solid state drive dedicated to Time Machine. The speed is amazing—I don't remember the exact speed of the backup but it's usually under a minute to backup a couple gigabytes. I do a backup when I feel I've done a bunch of captures that I wouldn't want to lose. Time Machine also does a backup every hour automatically. Since the interface and drive are so fast, I have never experience any interruption when Time Machine decided to do it's hourly auto backup.

I don't think that backup up to SD card is a good idea. Also, it's probably a slow transaction, right? If you are a pro shooter and have a busy set, you don't ever want to have to wait for a backup to finish or bog you down.

Also, a DigiPlate would solve your problem of your hard drives falling of the table.

Hope some of this helps!

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Backup of files while shooting tethered.
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 06:32:17 am »

Are you on a Mac? I've been using Apple's Time Machine and it is very fast. My setup is capture tethered to a MacBook Pro Retina with solid state drive which has an external USB3 solid state drive dedicated to Time Machine. The speed is amazing—I don't remember the exact speed of the backup but it's usually under a minute to backup a couple gigabytes. I do a backup when I feel I've done a bunch of captures that I wouldn't want to lose. Time Machine also does a backup every hour automatically. Since the interface and drive are so fast, I have never experience any interruption when Time Machine decided to do it's hourly auto backup.

I don't think that backup up to SD card is a good idea. Also, it's probably a slow transaction, right? If you are a pro shooter and have a busy set, you don't ever want to have to wait for a backup to finish or bog you down.

Also, a DigiPlate would solve your problem of your hard drives falling of the table.

Hope some of this helps!

Thanks but it really is of no help.

I don't shoot fast, so the backup speed is of little concern.  At best I make 20 images a day mostly many less.  Dropsync moves new files every minute.  Ther is never more than a few files at a time to copy.  And again I have yet to see anyone put forth a valid reason why the SD card is bad medium for creating this backup.  Surely no need for hundreds of dollars of SSD drives and a digiplate when a piece of double stick velco would work just fine if I were to go back to a drive.

The answer here really is for Phase One to get off the dime.  Others can offer camera and computer recording at the same time. I simply don't buy Phases excuse as to why they can't.

Thanks for your comments.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up