Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something completely different  (Read 3587 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Something completely different
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:37:38 pm »

The Crack of Dawn - Got up one morning pre-dawn hoping to be amazed by the light show, only to see nothing but huge dark storm clouds rolling my way. I was just about to give up and pack my gear away, when this strange tear in the clouds appeared above the horizon and allowed the far distant dawn lit sky to show through for just a few minutes.

I have never seen anything like it before or since.

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Something completely different
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:04:28 pm »

Almost like a total abstract. Very cool! Love the composition too.

P.S. For Rob: this is the use of monotonous sky as negative space I was talking about

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:20 pm »

That is very cool!
(And now I know what the Spanish Inquisition looks like.)   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:39:33 am »

That is very cool!

I agree. that is very cool.
It also shows that you had to be there to get the shot.
Five minutes earlier, five minutes later - no shot.
Great shots can be all about patience and perserverence.

Tony Jay

PS: read in another thread about your show - Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:43:27 am by Tony Jay »

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:32:18 am »

Almost like a total abstract. Very cool! Love the composition too.

P.S. For Rob: this is the use of monotonous sky as negative space I was talking about

That 'monotonous' sky is full of drama: you just have to look at it a little more closely; not negative space at all.

;-)

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:04:38 am »

Wow!

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:10:29 am »

Wow +1!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 10:05:33 am »

The sky knew you had camera gear out...sometimes, you just get lucky. Nice that you were able to take advantage of such a serendipitous moment and give the rest of us a nice wake up.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 07:57:42 am »

The Crack of Dawn

Great capture. Love everything about it. The composition, the colors, and not least the name.

It really needs the large expanse of blueish gray clouds with just a subtle drawing/contrast, so that the glow actually is found to be "behind" the "crack", and the wonderful play of lines in the glow can easily capture interest.

I like this image better each time I revisit it.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 02:46:36 pm »

Good job capturing the detail in both the dark and bright clouds.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »

Five minutes earlier, five minutes later - no shot.
Great shots can be all about patience and perserverence.

Tony Jay

PS: read in another thread about your show - Good Luck!

Thanks Tony  :) and your right it really is all about patience, perseverance and just a little bit of good fortune I supose. My good wife thinks I am barking mad getting up and heading out with my camera at ridiculous O'clock as regularly as I do.

That is very cool!
(And now I know what the Spanish Inquisition looks like.)   ;)

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition  ;D

Great capture. Love everything about it. The composition, the colors, and not least the name.

It really needs the large expanse of blueish gray clouds with just a subtle drawing/contrast, so that the glow actually is found to be "behind" the "crack", and the wonderful play of lines in the glow can easily capture interest.

Thanks everyone.

I know some people don't like to name their images, but sometimes the name seems obvious to me, as in the case of this image.

Thanks again  ;D ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:22:43 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 04:03:29 pm »

It's a winner, with or without the title.

amolitor

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 06:26:56 pm »

I've come back to this one literally dozens of times, trying to formulate my response to it.

On the one hand I pretty much like it.

On the other hand it's nearly identical in all the important ways to some paintings I have seen, in a style which I frankly deplore. A field of blue, with a slash of pink across it. Pointless and silly "art" signifying nothing.

I feel like I *should* hate this picture, because I can't see why it's different from the painting. But I don't. It sort of has to be because it's real, and the painting isn't, right? Why should that matter, though?

Anyways. Well done!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »

I've come back to this one literally dozens of times, trying to formulate my response to it.

On the one hand I pretty much like it.

On the other hand it's nearly identical in all the important ways to some paintings I have seen, in a style which I frankly deplore. A field of blue, with a slash of pink across it. Pointless and silly "art" signifying nothing.

I feel like I *should* hate this picture, because I can't see why it's different from the painting. But I don't. It sort of has to be because it's real, and the painting isn't, right? Why should that matter, though?

Anyways. Well done!

Andrew, you do seem to put yourself through a certain amount of genuine anguish when you review some types of image. And I know that everything you write is honest, well intended and written from the heart. You are obviously a very logical and analytically minded person, so occasionally you are bound to be conflicted by what appeals to either your head or your heart. I know I certainly am and occasionally I also find myself looking at, or listening to something and wondering why is that supposed to be good? Everyone is telling me it is good, but I can’t see why, am I missing something, or is it just me? But I don’t worry about it any more, as I now realise that sometimes we all like things just because we like them and hate other things for no good reason other than we hate them.

So thank you for your critique/review Andrew, good or bad, I always know it is heartfelt and honest and I could never hope for anything more.  :)

Dave

amolitor

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 09:49:28 am »

Apparently, Dave, I have a complex relationship with your work! I often have to struggle with it, but that's GOOD, because it's really me sorting out what I like, what I don't like and -- this is the important bit -- why. It's not like you're doing profound conceptual work that requires a PhD in Art Wonkery to grasp, but it seems to hit some places in my personal ideas of art that need to be hit more.

I appreciate you sharing your work, not just because it's good, and nice to look at, but because it IS hitting those personal spots and pushing me to consider stuff I haven't considered before.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 04:38:15 pm »

Well put, Andrew.

As I recall, Dave started out showing us some lovely but fairly conventional landscapes of the beautiful area he lives in, proving that he's an excellent photographer. And recently he's started showing images that are decidedly different, a bit more thought-provoking, and more daring.

I, for one, enjoy having my preconceived ideas given a jolt now and then, and Dave is doing a good job of that.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 10:55:51 am »

Apparently, Dave, I have a complex relationship with your work! I often have to struggle with it, but that's GOOD, because it's really me sorting out what I like, what I don't like and -- this is the important bit -- why. It's not like you're doing profound conceptual work that requires a PhD in Art Wonkery to grasp, but it seems to hit some places in my personal ideas of art that need to be hit more.

I appreciate you sharing your work, not just because it's good, and nice to look at, but because it IS hitting those personal spots and pushing me to consider stuff I haven't considered before.

Well put, Andrew.

As I recall, Dave started out showing us some lovely but fairly conventional landscapes of the beautiful area he lives in, proving that he's an excellent photographer. And recently he's started showing images that are decidedly different, a bit more thought-provoking, and more daring.

I, for one, enjoy having my preconceived ideas given a jolt now and then, and Dave is doing a good job of that.

Thanks Guys - sorry it has taken me so long to acknowledge your reply, but I have been sooooo busy  :)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up