Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Day's Work Almost Done  (Read 1972 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
A Day's Work Almost Done
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:58:10 pm »

The challenge to myself was to make a black & white sunset image where the tonal control was done well enough to allow the viewer's brain to fill in the colors of their choice.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

shutterpup

Re: A Day's Work Almost Done
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »

Nice black and white; I'd never guessed it was a sunset image. It just looks like overcast.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »

Yes, it's an attractive idea and place.

Don't know what it is about your stuff, but the minute I have to scroll it, even accidently, it comes up with new shapes courtesy the top of the computer area: have a look at it with the upper mast cut off just between its top and the crosstrees.

For me, it's a far stronger image without all that 'empty' sky that Slobodan would enjoy, far stronger as a simple idea than with the complication of a weakish mirror concept.

Rob C

Tonysx

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:59:18 pm »

You could trim a little off the bottom as well!!
‘Be you ever so high, the law

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:59:39 pm »

I can go with it either way. For me, not having the sky ever go white, or really even close to it could justify allowing that height. However, with the crop, I don't see the image losing any force, either.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:24 pm »

I think bringing attention to that critical area of the sky just above the trees is important. It's far too small in the original to carry any sense of "sunset", it looks as much like building cloud as anything else.

The closer in you can get, the more it feels like "sunset/evening"

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:29:01 pm »

fwiw I think the movement up the strong vertical of the reflected mast, continues into that bright area of sky, and continues out of the picture. Without that bright area of sky (and with the trees closing-in rather than opening-out) I seem to look back down to the bright area around the boat.

Yes, and that's why I suggested the crop half-way between top of mast and crosstrees/splitters: leaving just a suggestion of sky puts the attention onto both the building structures and reflection at the same time, making a single, united shot out of it... perhaps if one takes away the connotations of the title, the new framing makes a stronger image.

Rob C

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »

I think this is a lovely image and I don't need no stinking color! ;) As for the concept, I get what you're thinking about, but like the other posters, the light doesn't tell me that this is at sunset. Maybe something with more "directional" light would work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up