Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depth of field, f-stop and focus point  (Read 9160 times)

theguywitha645d

Re: Depth of field, f-stop and focus point
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 12:33:56 pm »

Is there any DSLR that isn't heavily into the diffracted zone at f/22?

My Pentax 645D works well at f/22. Diffraction limit is in relation to format size. This is why large format cameras had apertures of f/45, f/90, or f/128.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:36:42 pm by theguywitha645d »

RFPhotography

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 04:25:56 pm »

The sad thing is, some would consider it a personal failing.  ;D

Petrus

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:03 am »

The sad thing is, some would consider it a personal failing.  ;D

I happen to know several professionals, with 30 year studio experience, who shot with company provided Canon 5D2 for a long time and did not know such a thing as live view existed on their cameras. They did not use video, so they never came across this feature, and as usual, did not read the manuals.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 01:13:47 am »

Hi,

The way it works I try to focus on what needs to be really sharp, and stop down as needed. I'm familiar with hyperfocal focusing, but I really prefer to have my main subject sharp. It happens that I put focus between two points of interest.

When shooting on tripod, which I rather do, I mostly use live view at maximum magnification.

Another option may be to use Scheimpflug, that is tilting the lens to fit the plane of sharpness to the subject. I have a few old medium format lenses with adapters that can do this.

Best regards
Erik

I happen to know several professionals, with 30 year studio experience, who shot with company provided Canon 5D2 for a long time and did not know such a thing as live view existed on their cameras. They did not use video, so they never came across this feature, and as usual, did not read the manuals.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up