Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depth of field, f-stop and focus point  (Read 7051 times)

theguywitha645d

Re: Depth of field, f-stop and focus point
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 12:33:56 PM »

Is there any DSLR that isn't heavily into the diffracted zone at f/22?

My Pentax 645D works well at f/22. Diffraction limit is in relation to format size. This is why large format cameras had apertures of f/45, f/90, or f/128.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:36:42 PM by theguywitha645d »

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »

With the exception of video, where I have no choice, I've never once used Live View.

Are you bragging, or are you confessing to a personal failing? :-)

RFPhotography

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »

The sad thing is, some would consider it a personal failing.  ;D

Petrus

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »

The sad thing is, some would consider it a personal failing.  ;D

I happen to know several professionals, with 30 year studio experience, who shot with company provided Canon 5D2 for a long time and did not know such a thing as live view existed on their cameras. They did not use video, so they never came across this feature, and as usual, did not read the manuals.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 01:13:47 AM »

Hi,

The way it works I try to focus on what needs to be really sharp, and stop down as needed. I'm familiar with hyperfocal focusing, but I really prefer to have my main subject sharp. It happens that I put focus between two points of interest.

When shooting on tripod, which I rather do, I mostly use live view at maximum magnification.

Another option may be to use Scheimpflug, that is tilting the lens to fit the plane of sharpness to the subject. I have a few old medium format lenses with adapters that can do this.

Best regards
Erik

I happen to know several professionals, with 30 year studio experience, who shot with company provided Canon 5D2 for a long time and did not know such a thing as live view existed on their cameras. They did not use video, so they never came across this feature, and as usual, did not read the manuals.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up