Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Listen, and never ask again.  (Read 24566 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Listen, and never ask again.
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2013, 05:20:08 pm »

Hi Rob,

How about a body of work that eventually becomes a book project.
That can give you purpose and frustration all at the same time, and as well a commercial venture. This will consume your life, in a good way. It grows at your pace, whatever that may be, at any given time.

Best,
Peter
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:21:58 pm by petermfiore »

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 01:15:59 pm »

“However, it's perhaps easy to offer advice when one is still active and fit. If you are really having so much physical difficulty in getting around, and making your bed, and are reluctant to even visit the beach in case you bring sand into your house, I can appreciate that photography might not be much of a priority. – Ray”

Not quite as bad as that yet, Ray, but it does take me a helluva lot of time to do domestic because I am not the most organized of people that I know… and it always keeps on building up: got a wooden shutter taken away for repair yesterday (window, not camera), and to my utter amazement, the joiner brought it back, fixed, this morning. And it started to rain. So, I have the shutter sitting in the office because I can’t hang bare wood outside; I now have to seal it and then paint several layers of nogal varnish over it in order to match thirty years of annual applications of said joy. Then, when that’s done, it needs to be further sealed with a coat or two of marine varnish. Varnish takes at least a day between coats; this simple job could easily consume more than a week! You perceive the domestic distractions?

As for the excitement of living in the Far East: didn’t you note what happened to the photographer and general in Apocalypse Now?

“How about a body of work that eventually becomes a book project.
That can give you purpose and frustration all at the same time, and as well a commercial venture. This will consume your life, in a good way. It grows at your pace, whatever that may be, at any given time. – petermfiore”

Peter, frustration is something I have by the truck-load; I don’t need any more! Yes, you are right in principle and I have often thought of this very thing, but always end up looking either too far ahead at the logistics, the cost and the likelihood of ever selling anything. Even worked out a fiendish plot a couple of years ago and pitched it to a couple of companies that played around with the idea for a month or so and then went mute. However, should that lottery thing happen, it’s part of the projected master plan, which entails a leisurely tour of the Relais & Châteaux, possibly a Canal du Midi trip on a luxo-barge, and things of that nature. I didn’t mind too much some ten years ago, but I no longer feel inclined to travel second-class. Damn, that would probably mean another car. You see the problems that come with thought?

Most of the mental things still work; the problem lies more in the infamous ‘reasons to make a snap and get paid for it’ zone: the Photographer's Triangle.

;-)

Rob C

FredBGG

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 01:21:37 pm »

Another great film:

http://youtu.be/mkQklk_cfVs

Rocco Penny

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 08:03:41 pm »

dude
Peter Sellers without a shoe hasn't had an easier chance for an audience-
you realize you get some thousands of views on your threads right?
probably 30 views each from a bunch of geeks but,
that doesn't explain all of it.
Not by a longshot,
if I had access to a thousand people what would I say???
I hope something good...

Ray

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2013, 03:23:13 am »

Not quite as bad as that yet, Ray, but it does take me a helluva lot of time to do domestic because I am not the most organized of people that I know… and it always keeps on building up: got a wooden shutter taken away for repair yesterday (window, not camera), and to my utter amazement, the joiner brought it back, fixed, this morning. And it started to rain. So, I have the shutter sitting in the office because I can’t hang bare wood outside; I now have to seal it and then paint several layers of nogal varnish over it in order to match thirty years of annual applications of said joy. Then, when that’s done, it needs to be further sealed with a coat or two of marine varnish. Varnish takes at least a day between coats; this simple job could easily consume more than a week! You perceive the domestic distractions?

That's exactly what I mean, Rob. When one is young and energetic, such menial tasks are no problem. Sometimes they might even be a novelty and an interesting challenge.

However, as one gets older, and with repetition, the novelty wears off and the tasks can become tedious chores that take up too much of the valuable remaining time one has on this earth.

When I travel overseas, I prefer to stay in serviced apartments rather than hotel rooms because they are generally better value and more spacious, usually featuring a separate bedroom and a reasonably large living/dining area with small kitchen.

With buffet-style breakfast included, which becomes the main meal of the day, I feel a wonderful sense of liberation from tedious chores.

As for the excitement of living in the Far East: didn’t you note what happened to the photographer and general in Apocalypse Now?

I hope, Rob, that I am always able to distinguish between fiction and reality.  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2013, 04:19:44 am »

I hope, Rob, that I am always able to distinguish between fiction and reality.  ;)

Sheeesh, Ray, you mean they aren't the same?

There's only time for one go round, so live the best version you can - just like that cat in North Korea! Had I two missiles I'd move them too; I'd march my men up and down the hill, just like York! Of course, I don't really wish to have an army of men, but a small platoon of ladies out of Elite might be cool... fairly redundant, in bulk, but cool nonetheless.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up