Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How may guys will I need to lift my new canon 8400?  (Read 2112 times)

mg73

How may guys will I need to lift my new canon 8400?
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:51:20 am »

After much discussion and research, and after being an epson guy for years, I bought the canon 8400.  I've been through epson 2200, 7600 and 4880 and loved the output but didn't like the constant clogging issues, although I never had a clog that didn't clear.  I wanted to upgrade to a 44 inch printer and going back and forth between the epson 9890/9900 and the canon 8400, I pulled the trigger on the 8400.  The deciding factors were: pricing ($3,000 after rebate which ends today), full set of 330ml inks vs the 110ml starter set you get with the epsons, the ability to easily change print heads yourself when/if they go bad, and finally the seperate lines for the photo/matt black ink.  The consensus opinion seems to be that the print quality is so close as to be essentially moot.  So I went the the canon.

Now my question is: it's coming next week.  I have a residential lift gate delivery.  How many guys will I need to bring it up to the second floor in my house.  My driveway is on the basement level, so I'm planning to use dollys to wheel it into my basement.   There's a nice assembly video online.  I plan on assembling the base first and bringing that up to my office on the second floor.  Then bringing the body up seperately to put on the base.  So for those of you that know this machine, how many guys will I need to carry first the base up to the second floor?  How many guys to carry the body up to the second floor.  Any advice will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:55:49 pm by mg73 »

hugowolf

Re: How may guys will I need to lift my new canon 8400?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:09:33 am »

Four would be good.

Brian A

BillK

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »

2 max for the base, one if you take the parts up and assemble it up there. Since you are going up stairs 4 strong guys would probably be best for the printer.
Bringing my 8300 into the ground floor took three of us. Two to lift the printer, one to position the
base as we set it down. I would consider that a minimum.

Sure glad no stairs were involved for me. This thing is a beast, you have your work cut out for you
taking it up two flights of stairs.

You are going to be happy with your choice to go with the Canon. Like you, I have always had Epson
printers. For the most part you will no longer have to deal with the frustrating nozzle clog and cleaning dance
that the epson's require.

I would suggest that you print at least one small print every 3-4 days, if you wait longer than that the printer can do a
cleaning cycle when you try to print next.  I use a small image that consists of a series of small blocks of all the colors,
and use a cheap roll of 10" paper so the cost is insignificant.

Good Luck,
Bill

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:09:18 pm »

I had four men available to move our Epson 9900 into the building, which involved about 10 outside steps. I had read here to be concerned about the weight and size of the machine. In the end, two of us carried the machine while two watched. I moved and prepared the stand myself. Can't speak to the weight differences between the 8400 & 9900. Doing it (the 9900) over again, I'd use only two people.

John Caldwell

Robcat

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:04 pm »

In the end, two of us carried the machine while two watched. I moved and prepared the stand myself. Can't speak to the weight differences between the 8400 & 9900. Doing it (the 9900) over again, I'd use only two people.

John Caldwell
I have an 8300 that had to go down a flight. Two strong people is doable on level floor but you will not get it upstairs with 2---remember, that's one guy on the bottom liftting most of the 300+ lbs. Don't know what the 9900 weighs but I will bet against you getting an 8400 upstairs with 2. Have fun  ;).
Rob P

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:48 pm »

two with a helper for the base moved my 8300 with no stairs. the second time we had a flight and change and 4 were absolutely a must.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »

Call around and find a piano company to do the move for you. Will cost around $300 and they have a board they use for moving upright pianos up/down stairs that nicely fits under the 8300/8400.

See http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49569.0 for pictures and whatnot.

Neil

Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:44:19 pm »

We moved a 9900 fairly easily with three... but no stair involved.  A 4th person would have made it much easier.
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up