Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoid 42nd St Photo like the plague!  (Read 18951 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Avoid 42nd St Photo like the plague!
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »

The true meaning of the word bait and switch can be found at 42nd St. Photo. Here's my story... shame on me -- I know better.

I'm headed down to Miami for a couple weeks to shoot three different jobs - catalog, advertising and editorial. Two days ago, a friend said he really wanted to buy my Canon 1D Mark IV. I decided -- a bird in the hand, and sold it to him for a fair price. I've been looking seriously anyway at the 1Dx. I've used Canon's CPS cameras a couple times as well as rented the camera for a couple of jobs. So, though I own the 1Ds3, I NEVER do a shoot with only one body ( another story..). Yesterday I was on the mad hunt to find a 1Dx for my shoot, rather than rent again. Though I've always purchased the USA models of my cameras, I was willing to consider a grey market. I called one place -- grey market for about $5400 -- and plunked down my Amex. An hour later, they called saying they'd only sell with a wire transfer for over $5k. No way -- Amex stands behind me. I cancelled the order.

Then I called 42nd St. I really should know better. I usually buy from B & H or Adorama for a reason. I've purchased a few things through 42nd St, and it was OK, so I thought, what the hell. I talked with a guy named Jack. After dickering around about the grey market version (he was saying, oh it's a 3rd party charger, blah, blah blah), I decided not to take the chance, but got them down to $6450 for the camera. So far, so good. Oops. Shipping & Handling. Miraculously, the charge was now back to $6700, just a $100 cheaper than B&H. They said that the camera would ship overnight, and it did.

I got the body today. My first suspicion was that there was no USA registration card in the box. Hmm, something smelly. Then, I turn on the camera. Oh, gee, Japanese writing for the date menu. Never Had THAT. I scroll through the menu, all Japanese (or maybe Korean or Chinese). And when finally finding language, the only three options are two Asian and English. NOT at all like any of my Canon digital cameras since 2000. I've owned the original D30 and every model 1D since the beginning : 10 actual cameras total, and not one was like this.

They sold me the grey market camera for the USA price. What? Do they really think I'm THAT stupid that I won't notice? Fortunately, I bought with my Amex Business Platinum card and they really stand behind their cardholders. I'll try dealing with 42nd St. and try to get the grey market price I should have had, and if not, Amex will try to help. Let my sad, stupid story be a lesson. Buyer Beware.

Nemo

TSJ1927

Re: Avoid 42nd St Photo like the plague!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »

You knew she had a disease, but you still screwed her!!!!!!

Glenn NK

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:35 pm »

Interesting:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/42nd_Street_Photo

Can it be the same place?
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:40:59 am »

They have had a bad reputation for a long, long time. I learned it back in the film days. So if I deal with a NY camera store it is usually B&H or Adorama.

I hope things work out for you.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:49:27 am »

What a helpful post. What a fine expression of sympathy for anothers misfortune.

Such gratitude for what was supposed to a helpful 'heads-up'.

Not even humorous . . . a disgrace to the forum.
best regards,

Ted

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:02:28 am »

Not even humorous . . .

Hey, I laughed...and at the root, it's correct...the OP even said so (in a lot more words). At least he didn't say the "F" word...gotta give some credit!

hjulenissen

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:26:57 am »

They have had a bad reputation for a long, long time. I learned it back in the film days. So if I deal with a NY camera store it is usually B&H or Adorama.
Last time I was in NY they were both closed for close to a week due to some jewish holliday. Bummer.

-h

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:42:18 am »

Last time I was in NY they were both closed for close to a week due to some jewish holliday. Bummer.

-h

Next time try Fotocare.

tsjanik

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:14:02 am »

Interesting:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/42nd_Street_Photo

Can it be the same place?

Out of curiosity I looked at some of the reviews.  There's something suspicous, quoted below is a customer thanking them for convincing him/her to buy a battery.

posted Mar-08-2013

"They actually called me before my order shipped to make sure I hadn't forgotten to order a battery for my camera. It took a special rechargeable one that was more expensive if bought by itself. The customer services representative was very helpful in getting me what I needed at a price I could handle. Thank you"

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:50 am »

-h

Yes, both B&H and Adorama - along with many of the other well known camera outlets in NYC - are owned by very observant Jews.  Let's not degenerate into an unpleasant tangent about how their religious practices don't mesh with some people's buying needs.  

Not even humorous . . . a disgrace to the forum.

Yep, I laughed too.  A bit crude but accurate and to the point. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:19:31 am by BobFisher »

hjulenissen

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:21:34 am »

Let's not degenerate into an unpleasant tangent about how their religious practices don't mesh with some people's buying needs.  
Let's not be so afraid of being politically incorrect that we sensorcensor ourselves beyond what is reasonable.

-h
edit: sensor vs censor.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:40:42 pm by hjulenissen »

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:10 am »

Yes, my stupidity IS humorous in some ways. But, it's at my expense that I try to share a lesson with the sharks . Stick to the truly reputable shops. 8 out of 10 times, it's B&H. Their pricing is fair. As I said, I know better, but I let my rush get the better of me. Now, excuse me while I dash for the airport...

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:02 am »

But it was only a slight infection...

Rob C

Glenn NK

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 12:22:54 pm »

Out of curiosity I looked at some of the reviews.  There's something suspicous, quoted below is a customer thanking them for convincing him/her to buy a battery.

posted Mar-08-2013

"They actually called me before my order shipped to make sure I hadn't forgotten to order a battery for my camera. It took a special rechargeable one that was more expensive if bought by itself. The customer services representative was very helpful in getting me what I needed at a price I could handle. Thank you"

Yes, I read this but missed the hidden(?) meaning. 

"order a battery for my camera" (I've never looked at or bought one that didn't come with a battery.)

But one should give the 42nd salesperson credit for being so smooth as to make the sucker happy for being taken.

It's easy to write fake endorsements.  To make them look credible or authentic, throw in an outlier that's negative.

There goes my (misplaced?) confidence in resllerratings.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

TSJ1927

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:49:21 pm »

"order a battery for my camera" (I've never looked at or bought one that didn't come with a battery.)

But one should give the 42nd salesperson credit for being so smooth as to make the sucker happy for being taken.

It's easy to write fake endorsements.  To make them look credible or authentic, throw in an outlier that's negative.

Glenn
In the military this is called "Thank You Sir, May I have another!"

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 03:22:43 pm »

"Thank You Sir, May I have another!"

Actually, I think that came from English school boys...

tsjanik

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:22 pm »

It's easy to write fake endorsements.  To make them look credible or authentic, throw in an outlier that's negative.

Glenn

I've seen reports of this scam: a gray market camera; the battery is removed allowing the seller to advertise the item at "a really great price".  After the sale, a salesman calls to advise you that you need a battery to enjoy your new camera.  Final price is about the same or more than honest sellers.  Likely no repeat customers at these stores, but they just need new bargain seekers.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:59:09 pm by tsjanik »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 05:45:04 am »

Actually, I think that came from English school boys...
;D
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 06:42:14 am »

;D

Sounds like there's a Twist in the tale.

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 08:38:27 am »

Most definitely a " Twist". Not shaken?

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up