Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miracle Muck  (Read 13467 times)

chez

Miracle Muck
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:34:07 pm »

Is there a way to get Miracle Muck in Canada and if not, is there an equivalent substitute available?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Miracle Muck
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:37:34 pm »

How do you want to use it? A lot depends on your choice of materials.

Peter

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:37:39 pm »

I don’t have an answer but did you try contacting the vendor http://raphaelsap.com/

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »

I had to purchase directly from Raphaels. Although, if i remember correctly, I phoned them and they were able to make the shipping more reasonable for me.

In hindsight, it's just white glue. Go to Home Depot and buy some Elmer's or LePages. They're both PVA glues that are reasonably ph neutral-ish. I'm willing to bet they work just fine.

chez

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:49:22 pm »

I plan on adhering canvas to gatorboard. My understanding is this glue works very well. I also understood ( maybe wrongly ) is that the glue could not be shipped into Canada. Is this wrong?

How do you want to use it? A lot depends on your choice of materials.

Peter

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:30 pm »

I plan on adhering canvas to gatorboard. My understanding is this glue works very well. I also understood ( maybe wrongly ) is that the glue could not be shipped into Canada. Is this wrong?

I use it to mount Oil Primed Linen to Gatorboard and it does a wonderful job. I am a Painter working in oil, hence the oil primed Linen.
I have no knowledge of it's availability in Canada. It's an aqueous glue and vendors are leery to ship it anywhere in winter months. Freezing is harmful to the glue.

Peter

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:10:39 am »

I'm in Canada and I bought it from Raphael's, so you did understand incorrectly. Pick up the phone and call them.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything remotely special about this particular PVA glue vs. ordinary white PVA glue. Maybe someone else has done some type of testing and can prove me wrong but from my own experience Muck is completely interchangeable with what you'd find locally. Muck is neither PH-neutral or "archival" so I'd stop worrying and use what you can find easily.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:58:39 am »

^Miracle Muck can be heat re-activated. I don’t know if Elmer’s can be. Here is a link to some of the Miracle Muck FAQs

http://www.raphaelstoday.com/Documents/MUCK%20Commonly%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

Landscapes

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:59 pm »

I was able to find this glue locally in an art store in Canada, Lineco Neutral pH Adhesive.  http://www.lineco.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1118&primary=1

It really is just a white glue, but figured that since if was going on the back of a canvas I should try and get something that will not degrade the print.  If it is in fact true that Miracle Muck isn't archival, then this glue I suggest might even be better since it is pH neutral.  I just thinned it a bit with water and applied it to my board and stuck on the canvas.  Worked quite well!

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »

I love miracle muck, but everytime I've ever tried to heat reactivate it I've had nothing but disaster. a canvas improperly placed on gator and dried is a lost canvas and piece of gator in my mind.

Peter Le

• lewandoimages
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:43:42 am »

Miracle Muck is very slightly acidic till it is dry.....then it is inert . It forms a impenetrable barrier on the back of your canvas that keeps acids from frame or other things from getting to your print. So a good liqueur on the front and miracle muck on the back of your canvas I would say it is very archival. 

ddolde

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 11:03:25 pm »

I roll Miracle Muck on Gatorboard with a foam roller. A couple of thin coats, then let it dry. Next I align my canvas print on the board and put it in my Dry Tac vacuum/heat press. Amazing flat bond works great
Pages: [1]   Go Up