Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with the bew clarity tool in C1 V7  (Read 2321 times)

Thomas Koenig

Experience with the bew clarity tool in C1 V7
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:40:22 pm »

I'd like to know what the experiences are with new clarity in C1 V7? From particular interest is the punch mode?

I mostly apply it for landscapes. According to my experience it reacts very soon to strong for normal or high coloured images.
The image seems often  to be "overcooked".
In cases of low coloured or monochrome images the punch mode there is little or no effect.

What kind of experiences did you get by applying the punch mode  with the clarity tool?

Regards
Thomas

ario

Re: Experience with the bew clarity tool in C1 V7
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:51:55 pm »

My understanding is that the punch mode combines the classical clarity with a certain amount of saturation, this could also explain why it has a reduced  effect on monochrome images.

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:19 am »

It's supposed to be that:
Punch mode increases both colour and monochrome contrast (like applying Hi radius Low amount USM on L a b channels).
Neutral mode increases only monochromatic contrast (like applying USM only to L channel in L mode).

Remko

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:19:47 am »

The punch mode is based on the Normal mode (so not on the classical one). 

In my experience it works fine and gives a subtle extra saturation if asked for. But if you do not have many rich colors in your image, the clarity tool cannot do much about that of course. I never got overcooked images, but it all depends on what you did *before* using the clarity tool. If you changed the saturation already in some other tools, like in the color wheel or within the exposure tab, you indeed might get too much saturation or even overcooked images. But that then has nothing to do with the clarity tool itself.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Remko
Pages: [1]   Go Up