Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two treatments of Carmel Valley, ala Eyvind Earle  (Read 3861 times)

Mjollnir

Two treatments of Carmel Valley, ala Eyvind Earle
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:06 am »

Two shots of basically the same table land, deep in Carmel Valley, CA, actually east of Arroyo Seco, whose diffuse light conditions and loooong shadows brought to mind my fave painter, the late, great Eyvind Earle.  I simply moved about 100 ft. away for the 2nd shot.  These are both heavily cropped down, from the bottom of the frame, that included the Carmel River and a lot more lit up land that was surrounded by areas that were just too dark.

I'm not so sure about the final color treatment yet, having gone from striking green to orange/yellow, but latter is closer to how it actually looked.  I'd appreciate thoughts specifically on the color.

Tried to achieve a sort of painterly, dreamscape effect.  Sorry they're so small, I still haven't figured out how to attach shots in those little windows that expand upon clicking into a larger view.

Carmel Valley, Eyvind Earle #1 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Carmel Valley, Eyvind Earle #2 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

cjogo

Re: Two treatments of Carmel Valley, ala Eyvind Earle
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 03:33:12 pm »

Just not the right light/exposure  to achieve max color....I live up the road  ~~just West a little bit of that shot  ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:35:08 pm by cjogo »

Mjollnir

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »

Just not the right light/exposure  to achieve max color....I live up the road  ~~just West a little bit of that shot  ;)

Ha!  Then you, my friend, are out there in the boonies.  Which, coincidentally, I like.

I wasn't trying to achieve max color, per se, just an honest representation of what I actually say at the time given the light conditions.

MAN, would I like to pick your brain about some properties there and who to speak to to get on them to shoot, how far back certain roads go, etc.....

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:19:01 pm »

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:59:37 am »

Ha!  Then you, my friend, are out there in the boonies.  Which, coincidentally, I like.

I wasn't trying to achieve max color, per se, just an honest representation of what I actually say at the time given the light conditions.

MAN, would I like to pick your brain about some properties there and who to speak to to get on them to shoot, how far back certain roads go, etc.....

We live more West ... into the civilization about 10 miles....I just make my way on the to properties over the years... never once shot at > just watch out for the bulls .. ;D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:27:11 am »

francois

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:43:13 am »

Photo #1 for me too. I like the ridges, they form very nice shapes and the warm light on the grass is wonderful. With photo #2, half of the image is washed out and the right part (about 1/3) brings nothing outstanding.
Francois

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:16 am »

Photo #1 for me too. I like the ridges, they form very nice shapes and the warm light on the grass is wonderful. With photo #2, half of the image is washed out and the right part (about 1/3) brings nothing outstanding.

Exactly my thoughts. I like the light very much.

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

cjogo

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 07:06:24 pm »

Nice nod to a EARLE view ~~!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up