Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kilimanjaro - Before and After  (Read 1700 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Kilimanjaro - Before and After
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:00:34 am »

Just thought I'd share an image from a few years ago that has found its home on my wall as a canvas print. For interest sake, I've included the before and after. [Aside: As this is more of learning forum than it is a gallery of finished works, I wish more posters would include original raw/jpeg files so we can learn from their vision and techniques.]

Using LR3 and PS, I had previously tried to re-create what I envisioned for this photo, but it never quite came up "right". So I tried with LR4 and am quite pleased with the result. I was able to get the deep tones well separated from the highlights without the "edge" that would periodically appear with PV2010.

The original was shot with an Olympus E-1 (5mp) and the ZD 14-54mm zoom so I am limited to 2560 pixels on the long side (x 1008 pixels). I had Gregg Parsons in Guelph print it for me as a 46x18" canvas and, surprisingly, it up-resed quite well. It certainly made me question, but only for a moment, my purchase of a D800e last year ;) Canvas is much more forgiving of up-resed files!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sdwilsonsct

Re: Kilimanjaro - Before and After
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:34:42 am »

[Aside: As this is more of learning forum than it is a gallery of finished works, I wish more posters would include original raw/jpeg files so we can learn from their vision and techniques.]

Good idea! Your example is a fine one.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:44:59 pm »

Well, as the thread's gone quiet, perhaps this isn't a hi-jack.

I was intrigued to see the clouds like that, which made me think a shot from the air, then, based on vaguish memory of having flown over the area as well as doing some ground work, I though no, it's something else: fog seen from a highish vantage point, but from where?

This shot was from the Kenya border - more or less; sad to see the snow vanishing for what seems might be for ever... Kodachrome 64 Pro.

There was a great movie in the early 50s: Snows of Kilimanjaro with my then fix, Ava Gardner, along with Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward. Very moving for a 16-year-old. I found a good link to some music from that movie: Benny Carter.

http://youtu.be/ndV6kv-L27k

Rob C

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

I was intrigued to see the clouds like that, which made me think a shot from the air, then, based on vaguish memory of having flown over the area as well as doing some ground work, I though no, it's something else: fog seen from a highish vantage point, but from where?

Rob, you are right about the high vantage point - I shot this through the (exceptionally clean) window of an Air Tanzania flight from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro International. I lived and worked in Tanzania for four years with my family and we always flew directly into KIA which was, and still is, a night landing. This time, we flew into Nairobi and took a day-time connecting flight. Amazingly, the pilot took us right over Kilimanjaro with great views of Kibo Summit and the crater - see attached. The original post was made on our approach just before we dipped below the clouds.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Dewi Sant

• Dewi Sant Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:40:45 pm »

Terry, thought you may be interested in this shot of Kilimanjaro taken by my old dad around 1943 during WW2 when he was stationed in Africa as a sergeant with the British Army REME Corps. This photo was apparently taken from a train when he was on leave and went travelling with a few buddies.  An annotated photo album recently turned up amongst a lot of other stuff after my mum died, the contents of which contained lots of photos of my dad in Africa, nobody in the family even knew of it's existence. Their wedding album was also there but most of the photos in both albums were in a bad state so over the last few months I've slowly been scanning & restoring them in Photoshop.

2 photos - Kilimanjaro, and my dad with a V8 (American?) truck, as an engineer over there he worked on some pretty heavy duty machinery. He died in 2002, pity he's not here now to go through the photos with us, I'm sure there'd be a few stories to tell

Dewi

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:43:53 pm by Dewi Sant »
Pages: [1]   Go Up