Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Binocular Question?  (Read 1501 times)

marcmccalmont

Binocular Question?
« on: March 12, 2013, 06:11:21 am »

Does anyone know what optical properties cause binocular objects to appear paper thin but separated 3 dimensionally?
Is it 2 optical paths separated by 6" or maybe naked eyes integrate distant images differently?
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Binocular Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:53:40 am »

Does anyone know what optical properties cause binocular objects to appear paper thin but separated 3 dimensionally?
Is it 2 optical paths separated by 6" or maybe naked eyes integrate distant images differently?

Hi Marc,

I assume most of it is due to the increased stereo base, coupled with magnification, that gives that impression. The stereo base determines the stereoscopic effect, also allowing to see a bit behind the edges of objects, and the magnification creates a seemingly flattening of depth due to perspective.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:04:08 pm »

Hi Marc,

I assume most of it is due to the increased stereo base, coupled with magnification, that gives that impression. The stereo base determines the stereoscopic effect, also allowing to see a bit behind the edges of objects, and the magnification creates a seemingly flattening of depth due to perspective.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks Bart!
so I would guess the wider the spacing between the objectives the more pronounced the effect
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:41:57 pm »

Thanks Bart!
so I would guess the wider the spacing between the objectives the more pronounced the effect
Marc

Yes, and this is why porro prism binoculars have a more "3D" effect than roof prism models. The objective lenses are much further apart.

Of course, this is how a rangefinder camera works. The farther apart the RF windows, the more accurate the focus (in general.) Take a look at antique military optical rangefinders to see the extreme end.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:58:14 pm »

The same thing I perceive in 3D movies and TVs: like paper cutouts positioned in different planes. Never occurred to me, until you mentioned it, that I observed it earlier in binoculars too.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up