Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any lighting/contrast advice? Two shots of the Fjords in Norway  (Read 1300 times)

7h3C47

The color was really crappy due to the weather, so I definitely want to keep them in B&W.  I'm having some issues with the lighting though...I can't seem to find a happy medium that looks decent.  If you have any thoughts on contrast and lighting adjustments, please share.

SDIM0063 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

SDIM0051 by MR.FEESH, on Flickr

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Re: Any lighting/contrast advice? Two shots of the Fjords in Norway
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:01:53 am »

It seems to me the range of tones in both scenes is beyond the capability of your camera's sensor and you have neither captured detail in the shadows or detail in the highlights. Conventional wisdom is, I think, to capture detail in the highlights because nothing can bring back detail which is not there and there is a chance of bringing out detail in the shadows using software even if that area is underexposed.

The other option is to take two shots with the camera on a tripod, expose one for the highlights and the other for the shadows and then combine them in software.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:08:15 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:11:02 am »

Or make judicious use of graduated neutral density filters

nemo295

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:42:19 am »

Assuming you shot these in RAW and you're using Photoshop, you may be able to improve upon the blown out values in the sky and the underexposed hills by cranking up both the Recovery and Fill Light sliders in Photoshop's Camera Raw section.

But frankly, it probably won't help enough. It would be better to re-shoot when the sun is at your back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up