Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4: Limitations in print size?  (Read 3343 times)

John Caldwell

LR4: Limitations in print size?
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:29:48 pm »

We're having no luck printing from LR4 to an Epson 9900 when print length exceeds about 30". Photoshop CS6 does not appear to manifest the same limitation. Attempts to print from LR4 result in a blank page, cut to the specified size (44"x68" in this case) but the page is blank with no ink deposited.

This is LR 4, OS 10.7.5, with the printer networked with all connections hardwired via ethernet. Drivers are up to date. Epson feels the limitation lies within LR's printing architecture.

Thank you,

John Caldwell

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: LR4: Limitations in print size?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:02:56 pm »

John,

Don't know about the 9900, but I have successfully made 40x60 inch prints from LR 4 to a 9800.  Are you using 360 pixels/inch?

Jim

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:26 pm »

John... I printed a 30x30 and 30x40" just a few days ago straight from LR4. Did you create a custom page size or use one of the standard 'built-ins'?  I find I'm always more accurate with sizing if I create a custom size, even if its for a "standard" that's already there.
Mike Guilbault

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:50:54 pm »

Mike, I did create a paper custom paper size of 44" x 68" for this job. The file was to print 43.5 x 65.8 on that page size, from LR4. My limitation was in trying to send a 16 bit print job. All was fine when the same file was sent as an 8 bit job.

Thanks, Mike.

John-

Shane Webster

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:02 am »

John, I had similar difficulty trying to print a 16 bit file 44x66 but it would print fine as an 8 bit file. I researched it a bit and, at least for my issue, the problem was Apple's print spooler (its CUPS system)--it can't handle print files larger than 2 gig. Somewhat odd given a 64 bit architecture but that was my problem. I didn't try to print from PS to see if it generated a slightly smaller 16 bit print file since my LR generated file was not too much larger than 2 gig, but that might explain why your file printed fine as a 16 bit file from PS but not LR.

John Caldwell

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:12:42 am »

Shane, My success in printing from PS was linked to it's being an 8-bit job - just like from LR.

Thanks for your interest,

John-

Shane Webster

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:37:52 am »

If you're interested in deteining whether it's the 2gig limit or how much it's over or what effect various print dialog settings have on print file sizes, send your 16 bit file to the printer, stop the print job, go to safari and log into the cups print system by typing "localhost:631/jobs". It should show you the stopped print job and its file size.

John Caldwell

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »

Shane this is fascinating. Thanks so very much. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's become interested in factors that increase spool size. Can't wait to try this.

Many thanks,

John-

John Caldwell

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:37:39 pm »

Shane, I Paused Printer from the Queue manager, and entered the string you suggested to get "The web interface is currently disabled. Run "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" to enable it." Where might I go from here to view the size of the data spool, if I may ask?

Thanks very much,

John-

francois

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:19:04 am »

Shane, I Paused Printer from the Queue manager, and entered the string you suggested to get "The web interface is currently disabled. Run "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" to enable it." Where might I go from here to view the size of the data spool, if I may ask?

Thanks very much,

John-

John,
Open a terminal window and paste without the quotes: "cupsctl WebInterface=yes", then hit enter or return. After a few seconds, you should be able to go to the http://localhost:631/jobs page in Safari or a browser of your choice.
Francois

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 01:08:27 pm »

John,

I may be confusing this with a PS issue, but I seem to recall that LR can definitely send a large 16bit file with no problem as long as "Fine Detail" is NOT enabled in the print dialog.  Again, not sure if this pertains to LR, but thought I'd throw it out here regardless. 

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up