Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 10/3/13  (Read 4495 times)

Riaan van Wyk

10/3/13
« on: March 11, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »

Thoughts please?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: 10/3/13
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:54:29 pm »

So far, this is the best in your "stumps on the beach" series.

Dynamic composition, and simplified foreground and background. My concern would be the too-central placement of the stump. Had you moved just a bit to the right, you would have a much more dynamic, diagonal composition, and would let us see more of that stump (or is is a driftwood?)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:18:51 pm »

Very nice.  You can almost feel your feet being sucked down in the sand and the surf around your ankles.  I agree, biased more to the left you could almost feel like you could walk around the stump, it would work better overall.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:33 pm »

I like it very much, Riaan, but I do agree with Slobodan. This is one picture where the rule of thirds would make a big difference.

What's fascinating to me about it it that it's almost an abstraction, but not quite.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:21:33 pm »

I am drawn by your steady determination Riann, to know this place, your increasing receptivity to its elements and your obvious determination to move to its inner ways...that you would share this journey and the subtle attitude of learner is what I appreciate most I think...seeing this encourages me to be more mindful of how rare that gift has come to be. Thank you.
A common woman~

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:09 pm »

Dynamic composition, and simplified foreground and background. My concern would be the too-central placement of the stump. Had you moved just a bit to the right, you would have a much more dynamic, diagonal composition, and would let us see more of that stump (or is is a driftwood?)

I agree entirely. There's a real sense of rushing water, derived from the well-judged exposure, but the composition is a little ordinary.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »

Beautiful shot, Riaan; I wouldn't change a thing.

For me, the centrality is key: totally concentrates the mind on the thing as a whole; even the direction of the racing water contributes to the focus upon the key subject. One of the best images of this kind/genre that I've ever seen. Fabulous colour, too. Well shot, my man.

Rob C

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »

Great shot but I agree with the comments about the too-central placing of the stump. However, I would crop away the bottom half of the relatively boring area of the sand below the stump. That would place the roots of the stump in a more prominent position.

Another option would be to shoot with the camera lower and closer to focus attention on the roots, which I consider to be more interesting than the trunk. Although you would focus on the roots, when you take the photo, you would compose it so the roots were in the lower half of the frame and to the left so you include some, if not all, of the trunk.

Then, you might be concerned that the shot did not include enough of the wave action. Then, you would have to decide if your image was about the stump roots or about the waves.

My recommendations above are for where the stump is the subject. If you want a picture which focuses on the waves, I would not include such a dominant second subject, such as, this stump or, if I did, I would make it less dominant by only including the left of it (that is, moving it to the right edge of the frame).
Roger
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:08:46 pm by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »

I like it.  It is direct and effective.  If you are going to shoot the wood in the water that is the best way to point your camera.  If you move the wood off center I think the water and the sky would take over.  It is a little uncomfortable for me to identify with the wood being swallowed by the beach or to be swallowing that much wood, but that's the way it is.  I like your decision to stand so that your wake is not directed at the wood.  Had it been I think it would have made you much more of a player in the scene.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:41:54 pm »

Very enjoyable to look at.

It is only when you have revisited the same area to work and re-work the same type of scene many times over, that you finally start to get a sense of what it is you are trying to capture and what the scene says to you.

I really like the shot, but agree that framing it differently, at perhaps a slightly more oblique angle may be what is needed, who knows, only you can make it work - but stick with it, because you are getting close, damn close.

Dave

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 03:24:12 am »

Beautiful shot, Riaan; I wouldn't change a thing.

For me, the centrality is key: totally concentrates the mind on the thing as a whole; even the direction of the racing water contributes to the focus upon the key subject. One of the best images of this kind/genre that I've ever seen. Fabulous colour, too. Well shot, my man.

Rob C

Hi Riaan

I'm inclined to go with Rob on this one...I'm not sure any other angle would give me that feeling of "vertigo".

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

stamper

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:00:45 am »

If you have taken other shots from different angles then you could possibly post another two just to satisfy the member's curiosity.  A subject that deserves to be photographed from more than one angle. As it is I like it and wouldn't change anything. Nice processing. :)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:47:17 pm »

It's nice and IMO, if you crop the top to remove the "hot" hole, it may even be better!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:39 pm »

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

Isaac

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 01:19:17 pm »

Does your beach offer-up jetsam in different shapes and colours?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 01:44:39 pm »

Nicely done. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Print it to a suitable size for your taste and place it where random people can view and comment. That way you will receive feedback from a much wider audience than forum regulars. I predict the general public will be overwhelmingly complementary, with good cause.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 01:48:14 pm »

Nice!

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 02:50:14 pm »

Thanks again for the comments- appreciated.

Isaac, the seashore is a living entity, every high tide leaves new things for one to find in and on the sand. I haven't seen much jetsam recently, apart from the odd shoe or rope.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 04:14:02 pm »

Thanks again for the comments- appreciated.

Isaac, the seashore is a living entity, every high tide leaves new things for one to find in and on the sand. I haven't seen much jetsam recently, apart from the odd shoe or rope.

You gotta wonder about why folks always do that; why dump a single shoe?

Shit happens: I've seen both it and a shoe on the beach, but can't promise both at the same time.

;-)

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »

Yes.

Nicely done!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up