Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art Play  (Read 2433 times)

AFairley

Art Play
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:03:59 pm »

At the LA County Museum of Art last month.  Darkened the bright foreground some and the figures in the background to make them less noticable.  Cropped from 2:3 frame.

stamper

Re: Art Play
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »

I think it would be better if you went back to your original image and transform in PS the central part of the image and then crop close to it taking out all of the top and sides. It would make it a stronger image if the superfluous top and side bits were removed and It would then become an interesting image?

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:29 pm »

I think it would be better if you went back to your original image and transform in PS the central part of the image and then crop close to it taking out all of the top and sides. It would make it a stronger image if the superfluous top and side bits were removed and It would then become an interesting image?
Stamper, thanks for your suggestion.  I was resistant because I like my photographs to have a sense of "place" and context.  But I tried a quick crop on the uploaded image and it does makes it a much stronger image, I think.

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:42:47 pm »

At the outset, let me say that I like the original crop.  I am a huge adherent for context.

But to crop the image to an extract of the piece from the place I feel you need to go even tighter — maybe tighter than simple cropping will allow.

It is fascinating and rewarding all the same.

Cheers,

W

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:21:27 pm »

At the outset, let me say that I like the original crop.  I am a huge adherent for context.

But to crop the image to an extract of the piece from the place I feel you need to go even tighter — maybe tighter than simple cropping will allow.

It is fascinating and rewarding all the same.

Cheers,

W

Tighter still, and I do like it better than the looser crop.  Of course now it's something completely different from the first image:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:26:00 pm by AFairley »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:48:00 pm »

At the outset, let me say that I like the original crop.  I am a huge adherent for context.

I agree with Walter, and I think context is especially important in this one.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up