Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My father and his tools  (Read 3431 times)

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
My father and his tools
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:41:20 am »

He really can do everything, and has every tool needed...  :o

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: My father and his tools
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:15:35 pm »

A very fine environmental portrait, Roberto. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:46:52 pm »

He really can do everything, and has every tool needed...  :o

What I see, Roberto, is that the key tools that your father possesses are his experience and dedication to the task at hand.

You are a fortunate man to have such a bloke as a father; and he is very fortunate to have a son who is so proud.

W

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:17:32 pm »

I like it, but I would darken the light-colored bag on the left a little to make it not jump out so much

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:40 am »

Thank you very much Russ and Walter.

I like it, but I would darken the light-colored bag on the left a little to make it not jump out so much
Thank you for your advice.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:24 am »

Roberto

I agree with what has been said already - an excellent picture, and I wish I had the respect for my father that you obviously do of yours.  The picture will be a great family record I'm sure, which lets face it is probably one of the most important jobs of photography.

However you have posted it in the critique section, which I don't visit often, but assume means you are inviting us to give our views. Personally I find the tall narrow crop perhaps not the best.  I assume you were trying to keep in the handle of the vice, but we don't really need to see that to know what the device is.  For showing to people outside of family you have to decide on what exactly you are trying to show.  Is it -

1. A portrait of your father, in which case I would have been interested to see more of his face.

2. Is it to show how many tools he has to tackle any job, perhaps show more of the workshop.

3. Showing his skill in putting eyelets in boots, move in a bit closer to make it clear what you are showing.

Hope you don't mind but I have copied your picture and cropped and done a little burning-in to reduce some highlights.  If this is unacceptable to you or to the forum etiquette please someone tell me!  I can see that you are an experienced photographer and so I respectfully say these are just my subjective feelings.

Jim

As a postscript I would also add that the original file when downloaded has much better contrast and tones than than is apparent in the versions here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:28:56 am by Jim Pascoe »

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:20:36 pm »

Roberto
...  I find the tall narrow crop perhaps not the best.  I assume you were trying to keep in the handle of the vice, but we don't really need to see that to know what the device is.  For showing to people outside of family you have to decide on what exactly you are trying to show.  Is it -
1. A portrait of your father, in which case I would have been interested to see more of his face.
2. Is it to show how many tools he has to tackle any job, perhaps show more of the workshop.
3. Showing his skill in putting eyelets in boots, move in a bit closer to make it clear what you are showing.

Hi Jim.
First of all I would say thank you for your precious feedback and for the time you took to analyze my "work".
I really appreciate your interest.

I've tried to do my best, taking some different shots from different angles: this is the one I prefer.
I did not need a traditional portrait; I did not need a craftsman portrait (my father is not a clobber).
For me, this is a picture of my father doing something I had never seen him do before, something I'm not able to do.

(sorry for my poor english...)

WalterEG

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:31:52 pm »

(my father is not a clobber).(sorry for my poor english...)

LOL  He may, in fact, be a cobbler.  I suspect your English is better than you might think - it is just these wretched new keyboards that make mis-typing so easy and so frequent.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:30:42 pm »

Hi Jim.
First of all I would say thank you for your precious feedback and for the time you took to analyze my "work".
I really appreciate your interest.

I've tried to do my best, taking some different shots from different angles: this is the one I prefer.
I did not need a traditional portrait; I did not need a craftsman portrait (my father is not a clobber).
For me, this is a picture of my father doing something I had never seen him do before, something I'm not able to do.

(sorry for my poor english...)

Your English is very good!  I quite understand how you feel about your picture, which is why I started by saying it is very good and a great family record.  My comments were just suggestions based on how other people might interpret your picture.

Jim

dhancock

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:59:46 am »

Great job! Good B&W conversion.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:00 pm »

Nice!

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 02:44:08 pm »

Thank you Daniel and iluvmycam.

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:06:37 pm »

Your English is very good!  I quite understand how you feel about your picture, which is why I started by saying it is very good and a great family record.  My comments were just suggestions based on how other people might interpret your picture.
Jim
I've thought about your correct advices, clearly and rightly applicable in making photographic work for other people, outside family circle.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:43:54 pm »

Congratulations, Roberto.  A fine work.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »

Congratulations, Roberto.  A fine work.
Thank you Mike.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 07:25:46 pm »

A very fine environmental portrait, Roberto. Bravo!
Couldn't say it better!

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 03:37:24 pm »

Couldn't say it better!
Thank you David.
Pages: [1]   Go Up