Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca RM3Di handle Diameter  (Read 6541 times)

JoeKitchen

Arca RM3Di handle Diameter
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:49:12 pm »

So I just ordered an Arca RM3Di and I plan on turning new handles out of Cocobolo (because I think the handles supplied are ugly as hell).  i would like to order the blanks now, but I do not know how thick of blanks I should order.  

If it is not so much trouble, can someone please measure the diameter of the bottom handle at both ends and post those measurements.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:07:42 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
Re: Arca RM3Di handle Diameter
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:29 am »

Have fun!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:48:03 am »

Thanks for such precise measurements Chris.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55:25 am »

Don't forget to share some photos of your new grips, Joe.

:)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:50:12 am »

Sure thing, will post an image of the handles. 

I was going to make two sets, one out of Cocobolo and one out of Ebony, but Ebony is damn expensive.   :(

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:18:29 pm »

Have fun!

Man, that Arca is pretty.

It doesn't work for most of what I do, but it's one of the few cameras that I'd just like to have on set, just to have it on set.

IMO

BC

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:32 pm »

Joe:

Would you consider selling a pair?  I would love to have something to replace the resin handles.  They just don't look right to me.  Also if you have already considered it, the Arca Grip extension is great piece to have.  The handle as it comes doesn't allow for very much hand/finger room to grip anything.  The extension mover the handle out about 1 1/2 inches and angles it back a bit so there is more room to grip width wise, i.e. gets your hand away from the lens, and length wise, moves the handle away from the body in height.  Makes for holding the rig much more secure. 

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:33:34 pm »

Joe:

Would you consider selling a pair?  I would love to have something to replace the resin handles.  They just don't look right to me.  Also if you have already considered it, the Arca Grip extension is great piece to have.  The handle as it comes doesn't allow for very much hand/finger room to grip anything.  The extension mover the handle out about 1 1/2 inches and angles it back a bit so there is more room to grip width wise, i.e. gets your hand away from the lens, and length wise, moves the handle away from the body in height.  Makes for holding the rig much more secure. 

Thanks
Paul Caldwell

Maybe.  I am planning on reproducing the bottom handle as is, but carving a more ergonomic handle for the side.  For the side handle, I have access to all of the tools needed and time is the only cost.  For the bottom handle, you really need a lathe to carve it correctly, which I do not have access to.  This means I will need to get a carpenter to turn it for me.  It is a very simple job and would not take more than 10 minutes for someone who knows what they are doing, but still something I need to send to someone.  

RawheaD

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:04 pm »

I'll just plug this for my good buddy Gerry, who deals with all sorts of exotic woods for your turning pleasures: http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com

He himself is a turner, and he will be happy to answer any question you may have.  Just tell him Ian sent you :-)

jsiva

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 11:14:00 pm »

Joe, if this is a new business venture, please put me on the list for handles.  Even better, if you can get a good compact grip for the Factum.

Cheers..

Gandalf

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:52:53 am »

Rather than reproducing the handles from Chris' measurements, you might want to wait until you actually get your RM3Di before making new handles for it. I think the look of the factory handles is the least of their offenses. I know this might be blasphemy, but the Cambo handles are so much nicer. If you can incorporate some of that design into your handles I think you will have something beautiful and functional. I'm assuming you have a lot of experience working with cocobolo if you are planning something like this, but on the off chance that you don't, be sure to wear a mask or respirator when working the wood. Cocobolo dust is pretty toxic and exposure is cumulative.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:30 am »

Rather than reproducing the handles from Chris' measurements, you might want to wait until you actually get your RM3Di before making new handles for it. I think the look of the factory handles is the least of their offenses. I know this might be blasphemy, but the Cambo handles are so much nicer. If you can incorporate some of that design into your handles I think you will have something beautiful and functional. I'm assuming you have a lot of experience working with cocobolo if you are planning something like this, but on the off chance that you don't, be sure to wear a mask or respirator when working the wood. Cocobolo dust is pretty toxic and exposure is cumulative.
I agree, the shape of the handles are not very pratical.  For the bottom handle I plan on keeping a basic round form, but with groves for your hand and fingers.  I am going to carves these groves so it would be possible to place your left hand sideways, instead of having your palm facing up, which is less natural.  The side handle I plan on carving like the Cambo handle.  I may also make a leather strap for the side handle, a short one only made to go around your hand. 

I am very familier with the toxicty of this wood BTW. 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 11:34:11 am »

To Joe's point, I have always felt that the grips need more grip, i.e. not the smooth surface they have.  Sure the grip extension allows you to get your hand around more of the mass, but still the knob being smooth?  no finger notches?  As I stated in a previous post, sometimes I really wonder who Arca is taking to when they design some of their stuff.  It needs to be more than a unique material, it needs to have function also.  You are using it told hold a very expensive camera/back/and lens.   Finger notches on the upwards handle are a great idea, yes like the ones Cambo has.  I also wish that Arca would make handle for the left side.  I am right handed, and thus need that hand for other things it would be so nice to have a grip made that fits in the place of the other non-existing e modules (at least for now).  The issue of the no left grip was a big deal for me but I still preferred Arca's focus methodology so I stayed with them.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up