Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper setting for Canson Platine Fibre Rag on Epson  (Read 4827 times)

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
Paper setting for Canson Platine Fibre Rag on Epson
« on: March 10, 2013, 01:33:12 pm »

I am printing on Canson Platine Fibre Rag on an Epson 4900 printer. I did a print today and got a pattern of head strikes in the middle of the print. The Canson web site says to use a paper setting of Premium Luster Photo Paper 260, however, it seems to me that Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper is thinner than the Platine Fibre Rag. Has anyone had this problem and come up with a setting that prevents the head strike?

hugowolf

Re: Paper setting for Canson Platine Fibre Rag on Epson
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:55:34 pm »

I am printing on Canson Platine Fibre Rag on an Epson 4900 printer. I did a print today and got a pattern of head strikes in the middle of the print. The Canson web site says to use a paper setting of Premium Luster Photo Paper 260, however, it seems to me that Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper is thinner than the Platine Fibre Rag. Has anyone had this problem and come up with a setting that prevents the head strike?
The Epson Lustre is 0.3 mm and I am sure that Canson would have used Epson Exhibition Fiber (Trad Photo in Europe) as the media setting, had it been available then.

Canson Platine is a little under 0.4 mm. So I would start with the Lustre setting, change the Paper Thickness to 4, and the Platen Gap to Wide, then save it as a custom setting.

Brian A

John Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 02:43:26 pm »

Brian makes sense with his remarks, but I'll offer that I have had no head strikes using default thickness gaps of the Premium Luster Photo Paper setting - and this is always in the context of using sheet 13x19 media on the Epson 4900. I'm using a custom profile for Platine and PLPP driver settings on our 4900. I'll try increasing the thickness and gap Brian suggests where.

Here's the profile (PLPP 260, Finest Detail, High Speed On)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/87879474/Photography/Misc/4900%20CIFA%20Platine%20(PLPP260).icc.zip

John-

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 03:20:16 pm »

Brian makes sense with his remarks, but I'll offer that I have had no head strikes using default thickness gaps of the Premium Luster Photo Paper setting - and this is always in the context of using sheet 13x19 media on the Epson 4900. I'm using a custom profile for Platine and PLPP driver settings on our 4900. I'll try increasing the thickness and gap Brian suggests where.

Here's the profile (PLPP 260, Finest Detail, High Speed On)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/87879474/Photography/Misc/4900%20CIFA%20Platine%20(PLPP260).icc.zip
John, why Finest Detail???
"Finest Detail for sharper edges on vector-based data including text,
graphics, and line art. (This setting does not affect photographs and
is not recommended for large files.)" From the 4900 manual.

I too have had no problems with the Luster settings, but I seem to remember a post here with other that have.

Brian A

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:22:06 pm »

I did not know the origin the Finest Detail Setting, so I have probably been selecting it in error much of the time. Thanks for education, Brian.

John-

jed best

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:02:48 pm »

I believe it is recommended when printing out of Lightroom and the dpi is 720, not 360. See Jeff Schewe's comments on the videos he did with Michael.

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48:05 pm »

I believe it is recommended when printing out of Lightroom and the dpi is 720, not 360. See Jeff Schewe's comments on the videos he did with Michael.
I don't think anyone has mentioned output resolution, but in general the thought is 360 ppi, if the orginal is less than that, and only 720 ppi if it is already over 360 ppi. But this would have no effect on print heads striking the paper.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up