Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour profiling, soft proofing and my current digital chain  (Read 8182 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Colour profiling, soft proofing and my current digital chain
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:06 am »

It's probably harmless, but the word "distributed" is pretty wide - that's why I mentioned it. Anyhow, all the more kudos to Martin's book - the main point.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:06 pm »

At Mark's suggestion, I sent Martin Evening a note asking his permission to leave the link up.  Here's what he said:

"That is no problem as far as I am concerned and you can quote me on that. The source in this instance was from Peachpit's own site and therefore totally legit.

What has happened in the past is that copies of the DVD I used to create for my Photoshop book were getting copied and sold on eBay etc. Therefore, it seemed best to make sure people were aware that all PDF content wad an extra free bonus and not needing to be purchased. It still seems a sensible precaution, but in this context sorry if it caused you to worry."

So, as far as I'm concerned, all's well that ends well, but I'm sorry I didn't see the faint disclaimer in the PDF, and I thank Mark for calling it to my attention.

Jim

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 03:39:29 pm »

Super; I was confident you would get a positive response. What concerned me at the beginning was both the targeting of the intended audience and the broad sweep of the word "distribution" in that feint notice on the top of the pages, so it is reassuring to know there is no problem.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 06:13:00 pm »

There is a small detail here, your histogram and overexposure warning depend on colour space settings [[on the camera's LCD ... also "blinkies" ... not the histograms for ACR / LR on your computer monitor]]. So it is better to have camera set to AdobeRGB.

Agree, with [[note]] above.

FWIW:
I fussed with UniWB for a while to try to get a closer match between the camera's LCD histogram/blinkies and RAW. I found it to be more trouble than it was worth, and the awful green cast got annoying. I think I'm getting close to what UniWB attempts to accomplish on my Canon by using "Custom Picture Style" based on "Neutral Style" with Reduced-Contrast=0 and Reduced-Saturation=0.
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

IWC Doppel

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 02:24:06 am »

Thanks guys

I shoot raw and jpg and import both into LR. I set the jpg as B&W in camera as I can then compare colour to B&W for the same image in LR. I also prefer shooting and thinking in B&W so my screen images are B&W. whilst the histogram in camera and clipping are jpg based seeing blue and red on B&W is easy.

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 01:32:42 pm »

I shoot raw and jpg and import both into LR. I set the jpg as B&W in camera as I can then compare colour to B&W for the same image in LR. I also prefer shooting and thinking in B&W so my screen images are B&W. whilst the histogram in camera and clipping are jpg based seeing blue and red on B&W is easy.

Interesting, but I'm unclear what advantage there is to setting the camera to capture both RAW and JPEG. "Inquiring minds want to know."  ::)

At least with a Canon DSLR, if I set the "Picture Style" to Monochrome (B/W), it will show b/w on the LCD screen. However, I'm 99.44% confident that the RAW file still has all the actual RGB bits. I didn't proceed to see what LR actually imports, however.
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

IWC Doppel

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 02:47:33 pm »

With the Leica M9-P I am pretty sure the only way to show B&W on screen is to select B&W for the jpg, but I could simply import raw only and use the screen in B&W. my reason for importing both is ;

1. The tonality and look if the B&W jpg's are quite good so offer a yardstick or comparison when I am processing the raw in B&W.
2. Sometimes the jpg is good enough with a minor tweak
3. Having an unprocessed raw image in colour and the B&W jpg will tell me straight away if colour will be better before I process
4. I don't have a camera card or hard drive storage issue
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up