Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on 'expired' ink carts-Epson  (Read 1135 times)

Garnick

Thoughts on 'expired' ink carts-Epson
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:48:27 am »

Hello All,

I realize this subject has been flogged before, but I do have one question and perhaps a bit of info, for what it's worth. I've just had my last warranty service call on the SP9900. I had extended the warranty twice, so I'm on my own now. This was the third time the print head had been replaced and the service tech mentioned that according to Epson it was not a good idea to be using ink carts beyond their "best before" date. The print head replacement is only one of the many problems I have encountered with this particular machine during the three years I have owned it. However, during the several service calls I've had the expired cart scenario has never been mentioned before. The tech said that according to Epson the ink can settle and "thicken' in the cart eventually and possible cause a problem in the print head. He also left three new carts to replace some of the expired carts in the printer. I have always used 'expired' inks in all of my Epson printers, 4000, 2-7600s and now the 9900, without any apparent problem. In some ways this explanation from Epson does sound plausible, but with frequent agitation of the carts I'm not sure I'm buying it totally. Of course the fact that business has been rather flat recently means that the cart turnover is less than ideal and I have decided NOT to buy the 700ml "K" ink carts in the future. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this subject and how many of you are still using 'expired' ink carts in the 9900.

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

davidh202

Re: Thoughts on 'expired' ink carts-Epson
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:08:31 pm »

Gary,
  I know there have been many prior opinions stated on this and other sites related to this issue. My thoughts on expired carts are this...
I believe Epson most likely has a very valid reason for placing expiration dates on the carts in relation to when they were manufactured, and subsequently recommending that they be used up within 6 months of opening and placed into use.

Many have stated it's pure hogwash and only an attempt to sell more ink.  Some are also proponents of trying to outsmart their machines to skirt around the need for cleaning cycles. I think this becomes a game of Russian Roulette -a gamble. I do not believe for one minute that Epson has designed a flawed product, as some would like us to think.They are selling way too many of these newly headed machines over the past 4 years and have way too much at stake. It is very unfortunate that some , such as yourself, wound up with a problematic model, and I can surely understand the frustration of your experience.

It seems to me after 2 1/2 years at this WF printing thing now and reading many horror stories posted on the net, that some machines are more prone to problems than others, and there are many factors, from actual build quality,site location, to amount of usage, that can contribute to ink related problems.

I have said a few times that my problems seem to be directly related to 1% low carts and thankfully I have been able to recover every time I've had an issue. I have never done a power clean to resolve a dropout or clog.

Now for the meat...
Ever since I purchased my 9890 slightly over a year ago, my 7900, now 2 1/2 years old, has had a smaller workload. I do make it a habit of switching PK/MK duties on both machines to make sure that those channels in each are kept somewhat active.I print on each at least once a week but usually not big runs.I do not remove my carts to shake them,or perform any other rituals to the machine such as running in service mode.I changed the wiper on the 7900 (which wasn't really that bad), after getting paranoid when Erics thread started last year, and am about to pull the wipers on both machines and clean them this week to see just how bad they are.
I had a Cyan problem on the 7900 last week where the channel  dropped out completely after a PK to MK switch (which was more than likely due to a pressurization thing) ,and while switching out the Cyan carts I noticed that a few of my carts in the 7900 are now over a year past date, but not far over 8 months of opening them and placing them in the machine.They are the 350ml that I used to buy to save a little $$. I would never buy 700ml carts unless I was printing a lot, on a daily basis.

I hope I dont jinx myself buy posting this, but so far I personally have not experienced any problems.(knocks on wood)

Oh Yeah...
  I  might mention, that I pat my machines, praise them, and kiss them every time I switch them on. ::) ;) :o ;D

David

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:29:47 pm by davidh202 »

Sal Baker

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:27:03 pm »

I think it has more to do with the specific Epson model than expired cartridges.  My 3880 has had no clogs using 3 year old carts.  I never bother agitating the carts or doing weekly nozzle checks so I don't think expired Epson ink is a problem, but specific printers may be.

Sal

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 11:12:23 pm »

Thanks for the replies Fellows.  I think you both have some valid points here.  If you've been following Eric's thread you know some of the history of my printer.  I think I may have brought some of it on myself though unfortunately.  To explain...the day I fired up the 9900 for the first time I also started what I call my "9900 Issue Log".  I wanted to keep track of any and all problems, and I now have 104 entries.  I cannot possibly get into all of that here and now, so suffice to say that it's been a bit of a rocky ride.  Perhaps had I not started that log I may have been spared some of the headaches.  Not that I'm at all superstitious of course.  Over the past three years I've had 5 or 6 service calls.  It might actually be more, I'd have to check the log and it's on my work computer.  A moot point though, probably more than most members of this forum.  I am now nearing the end of my second and final extended warranty, so I'll be on my own from here on.  Eric's thread has been a big help and will continue to be I'm sure.  After three print heads, I now know I can install one myself if necessary.  $1300 is only about $200 more that the warranty, so not bad I suppose.  I figure what I'll save by not buying the warranty will probably be eaten up in parts.  I hope I'm wrong!

I tend to agree with both of you concerning the expired cart issue.  There seems to be conflicting information and opinions even among service techs.  I shall continue to agitate the carts, gently but frequently, and use them until I feel that a replacement is in order, whether or not the cart is empty.  I still have a couple of "K" 700ml carts, but will no longer be ordering that size.  I think it could perhaps be false economy if the turnover period is too long and might possibly cause further issues.  I tend to agree that in my case it's probably more of a specific machine issue than an outdated cart issue.  Looks like I'm going to be communicating with Eric again soon to try and figure out how to keep this printer working without too much of a stress load.  Operator stress that is.

Thanks again for your replies gents, much appreciated.

Gary   

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up