Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why only 35mm for the rx1 and x100?  (Read 5482 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Why only 35mm for the rx1 and x100?
« on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:21 am »

It seems like Sigma has the right idea with the DPM series. Wide, normal or tele to choose from.

Although I like a lot about the RX1 and X100, I find myself thinking that I would be more inclined to buy one if the standard lens were 50mm and I could buy a wide angle converter to get 35mm or possibly 28mm when needed.

There was an interesting post recently from someone who attended a Fuji marketing event in HK. Here is the pertinent quote:

Q. Would Fuji produce a tele-conversion lens for the X100/X100s?
A. We tried to make a teleconverter for the X100 but we found that the image quality has degraded. But we were able to achieve no image degradation with the wide-angle conversion lens, hence we offer it.

The physical size of a FF fast 50mm could be an issue on the RX1 (maybe f/1.8 wouldn't be too much of a stretch?), but after handling a used X100 today both with and without the converter lens attached, I left thinking that a larger lens would not be a bad thing. Is there any chance a 50mm equivalent version could be in the works?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Why only 35mm for the rx1 and x100?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:27:12 am »

Hi,

Keep in mind that the RX1 is a full frame and the X100 is APS-C.

I don't really expect versions of the RX1, it is quite expensive, also a full frame NEX is said to be around the corner.

Zeiss is coming with a series of new lenses for NEX and X-mount.

Best regards
Erik

It seems like Sigma has the right idea with the DPM series. Wide, normal or tele to choose from.

Although I like a lot about the RX1 and X100, I find myself thinking that I would be more inclined to buy one if the standard lens were 50mm and I could buy a wide angle converter to get 35mm or possibly 28mm when needed.

There was an interesting post recently from someone who attended a Fuji marketing event in HK. Here is the pertinent quote:

Q. Would Fuji produce a tele-conversion lens for the X100/X100s?
A. We tried to make a teleconverter for the X100 but we found that the image quality has degraded. But we were able to achieve no image degradation with the wide-angle conversion lens, hence we offer it.

The physical size of a FF fast 50mm could be an issue on the RX1 (maybe f/1.8 wouldn't be too much of a stretch?), but after handling a used X100 today both with and without the converter lens attached, I left thinking that a larger lens would not be a bad thing. Is there any chance a 50mm equivalent version could be in the works?
Erik Kaffehr

theguywitha645d

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 12:34:47 pm »

The RX-1 is 35mm because more people prefer that focal length on a fixed lens camera. Far more flexible than a 50mm. If you want a 50m perspective, there are lots of choices with APS and m4/3 cameras. Why not buy one of those?

As far as I know, the full-frame Nex is just wishful thinking.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:27:46 pm »

Hi,

There is actually a full frame NEX around, but it is a film camera, called VG-900. It seems that plans for full frame NEX are quite firm.

Best regards
Erik

The RX-1 is 35mm because more people prefer that focal length on a fixed lens camera. Far more flexible than a 50mm. If you want a 50m perspective, there are lots of choices with APS and m4/3 cameras. Why not buy one of those?

As far as I know, the full-frame Nex is just wishful thinking.
Erik Kaffehr

theguywitha645d

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:26:02 pm »

It seems that plans for full frame NEX are quite firm.

Apart from a review video about a video camera, what other evidence do you have that Sony will make a FF still-photography NEX camera? That camera was announced with the a99 and RX-1. Perhaps Sony thinks the FF still camera line is well covered.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:39:41 pm by theguywitha645d »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:45:27 am »

Hi

I just said: It seems that plans for full frame NEX are quite firm.

Sony rumors seem to have pretty consistent information, and I got the impression that Andrea has some information coming from Sony insiders. The info he provides used to be surprisingly accurate.

The video camera you can buy, and it works as a still camera, too. It is using a full frame 35mm  24.3 MP Exmor sensor.

You may also note, that Sony's top of the line models used to be called 9xx (like 900 or 99) the top of the line Nex is 7, and the VG is 900.

Yeah, it is possible that the NEX-9 will not show up, but I stand by my statement that: It seems that plans for full frame NEX are quite firm.

Best regards
Erik

Apart from a review video about a video camera, what other evidence do you have that Sony will make a FF still-photography NEX camera? That camera was announced with the a99 and RX-1. Perhaps Sony thinks the FF still camera line is well covered.
Erik Kaffehr

MarkL

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:03:45 pm »

It is irritating but I guess they did their market research. I have a X100 and find myself constantly cropping - 35mm is just too wide for me.

simonstucki

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:06 pm »

why don't you just get a X-E1 and a 35/1.4? a x100 with a 35/1.4 wouldn't be much smaller. also I think fuji will come out with a 27 pancake lens for their x-mount cameras.

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 06:17:29 pm »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess the thing that was bugging me was limiting a high-end enthusiast product to a single fixed lens and no other options.

After more thought, I realized that Sony, Sigma and Fuji actually had plans, but different execution.

DP1m, DP2m and DP3m provide a full range of useful focal lengths, but you need to buy a new body with each.

The X-100 28mm extension lens provides a wider option without needing to buy a second body, but apparently their engineers were not able to develop a tele-adapter lens that met IQ requirements. So, their customers need to go to a different product line for portraits and other telephoto applications.

The Sony has only its sensor cropping setting to get a telephoto effect. With 24mp on a FF sensor, this is a legitimate option.

So, I guess they thought this through more than I intitially assumed.

To bad the tele-adaptor for the X-100 failed, Fuji would have been nearly unbeatable with 28mm, 35mm, and presumably something in the 50-90mm range for the second add-on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up