Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend padded strap for heavy DSLR? (no quick releases, please)  (Read 5030 times)

AFairley

My camera strap of choice for years and years is my Olympus strap from the E-10 which is a single piece of webbing that tapers at the ends to fit the triangular split rings that attach to the camera strap lugs, which I have moved from camera to camera.  Totally secure, no snaps or stitching to fail....

But, the D800E + 24-70 f2.8 is so heavy that the strap just cuts into my shoulder after a while, so I need to go with something wider and padded.  I looked at the Op/tech straps, but don't like the plastic snap connectors, which I don't trust.  Any other recommendations for a cushioned strap?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:04:16 pm by AFairley »

PhotoEcosse

Re: Recommend padded strap for heavy DSLR? (no quick releases, please)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:21:54 pm »

The simpler (and cheaper) Op-Tech neoprene straps connect in the normal fashion through the D-rings and are perfect. About £6 on eBay.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:01:30 pm »

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/

These are well-made, sturdy straps. One of the selling points is the non-slip shoulder pad. It does what they say: not slip. It works altogether too well for me; I have trouble getting it where I want it on my shoulder, and trouble getting it off quickly, especially when I'm wearing several layers of clothing.

I'm sure there are photographers for whom it's the perfect thing.

Jim

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:28 pm »

Thanks, Ellis and Jim, that's exactly what I'm looking for -- a single piece of web with a pad and no seams of any kind.  I'll have to think about the pad, because I carry on the shoulder, I tend to slip the strap across it when I move the camera up into shooting position.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:45:05 pm »

The great thing about the upstrap pads is that they absolutely do not slip or slide - not on skin, natural or synthetic fibers, rain slickers or leather.

JeanMichel

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:22 pm »

Hi,
Yes, the Upstrap stays glued to you, I use one on my 5d2. My spouse very much likes the BlackRapid strap for her GH2.
Jean-Michel

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:31:34 am »

Up-Strap

chandsa

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:56 am »

+1 for the UPStrap.

I ordered 2 of these, for use with my D200 and D300. I use the 24-70 and 70-200mm lenses with these cameras. With the straps that came with the cameras I was finding it hard to prevent the devices from slipping on my shoulder. The UPStrap stays put, I mean it just stays put. The camera doesn't move/slide till you actually move it. With lenses like that, that are built like a tank, you will start to feel the weight no matter which strap you use. But i've been very pleased with the UPStraps and will recommend them whole heartedly.

Taylor, the CS rep was very patient with me and answered all my questions.

Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up