Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Have a look around where I live.  (Read 9406 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Have a look around where I live.
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:40:16 pm »

Hi all,

Here is a jpg from a 17 vertical image stitched pano of the area where I live on the IoS. It is not a work of art I grant you and for the purists, yes I know you can see the pano joins in the sea. I just thought this was a neat way of letting you have a look around where I live, as a sort of virtual visit to part of the island kind of thing. This area is Broadford and you are looking across at Broadford Bay. The pointy mountains in the background middle are the Black Cuillins and the more rounded mountains to the left are the Red Cuillins, as they have now become commonly known, or Red Hills as they are actually called.

Enjoy  :)

Dave
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:43:34 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Kevin Gallagher

Re: Have a look around where I live.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:10:49 pm »

Well, it looks as if you have very quiet neighbors  :D Looks like a really lovely place to live & to work!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:30:33 pm »

And it looks as if you have simultaneous summer and winter. I'm jealous!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:07:10 pm »

So, snow at last! Well done.

And for anyone who hasn't been there, 'tis a stunningly beautiful place. When it isn't clagged in, wet, blowing a hoolie & generally being unpleasant. Which is most of the time.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:29 pm »

So, snow at last! Well done.

And for anyone who hasn't been there, 'tis a stunningly beautiful place. When it isn't clagged in, wet, blowing a hoolie & generally being unpleasant. Which is most of the time.

Methinks you had the worst weather in history when you came here Bill?  :)  In fact for the last 18 months, it has been pretty much nothing but wall to wall sunshine  :P

Yes this was the first snow from before Christmas, and we had several falls like this after the new year, but as you will also notice, none of it got to ground level, which was a bit annoying (photographically).

Dave

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:04 am »

Here is a jpg from a 17 vertical image stitched pano of the area where I live on the IoS.

So, do you live in the houses off to the left or the cemetery on the right?

:~)

If that was the light in December, clearly May was the wrong time to visit...it pretty much was always raining or overcast when Martin Evening and I were there.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:50:12 am »

I can definitely think of worse places to live!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:41 am »

So, do you live in the houses off to the left or the cemetery on the right?

:~)

If that was the light in December, clearly May was the wrong time to visit...it pretty much was always raining or overcast when Martin Evening and I were there.

No I actually live in Kyleakin (pronounced ki - lakkin), just over the Skye bridge and onto Skye proper. Broadford is our local village and just up the road from us - they have a shop  ;D

The image above doesn't really do justice to the scene, as Lula only lets you upload files of less than 1mb and the original image in its native resolution as it sits on my PC is a whopping 1.6gb.

Yes winter is probably the best time to be here photographically speaking, but spring can be amazing when all the wildflowers come out and autumn is pretty good too when the leaves turn yellow and the heather is in full bloom. And the trip across by ferry to the other western isles from Uig (pronounced oo - igg) at the north of the island, only takes an hour or so to get across to South Uist, then on through Benbecula and North Uist and across to the Isle of Harris and Lewis etc. You would need about 10 days to really get around to see some of the best locations on and around Skye and the nearby islands.

We have not organised anything yet, but Ann and I are thinking we could take small group photographic tours around Skye and some of the Western Isles and to all the best photographic locations. I think someone used to do this in the past, but I think they have now retired, so it is certainly something for us to think about providing.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:16:37 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
Have a look around where I live 2
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:56:02 am »

Another crazy big pano for you to have a look around in, this one is of South Uist, which is another nearby island to us and is about an hour by ferry from the IoS.

There is nowhere in the UK that looks like this or possibly anywhere else in the world I think. Sometimes when I am out with my camera, I just stand and stare at the landscape, to see no another person and to hear no sound. It feels like being on another planet  :)

Dave

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:57:24 am »

I want to walk across your country in honor of John Muir!  Here is where I live in El Portal, CA (just west of Yosemite).

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 06:42:35 am »

Here is another one of my huge stitched panos. This one is from the small pretty harbour village of Plockton, which is very close by to where we live and is where the original film of the 'Wicker Man' was filmed with Edward Woodward.

It is also where I will be having my first gallery show from the 19th to the 30th of june this year  ;D

Dave

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:17:53 am »

Here is another one of my huge stitched panos. This one is from the small pretty harbour village of Plockton, which is very close by to where we live... It is also where I will be having my first gallery show from the 19th to the 30th of june this year  ;D

Best of British for the gallery show Dave!

Tony Jay

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:34:13 am »

Luscious panos, Dave! And congrats on the gallery show. I hope it will be a great success.
A bit too far for me to swim, I'm afraid.

Eric M.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alistair

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 01:21:26 am »

No I actually live in Kyleakin (pronounced ki - lakkin), just over the Skye bridge and onto Skye proper. Broadford is our local village and just up the road from us - they have a shop  ;D

Dave

Is that the general vicinity of the Talisker distillery Dave? Could that have impacted your memory of the weather? Lovely pano BTW!
Alistair

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 04:40:18 am »

Is that the general vicinity of the Talisker distillery Dave? Could that have impacted your memory of the weather? Lovely pano BTW!

We are about 30 minutes away from the Talisker distillery and even though I am not a whisky drinker as such, I must admit I don't mind a wee dram of Talisker's finest, very peaty, tasty, warm tones and...  erm...  what was I saying  :-\

Dave  ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:10:41 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:31 am »

Here is a jpg from a 17 vertical image stitched pano of the area where I live on the IoS. It is not a work of art I grant you and for the purists, yes I know you can see the pano joins in the sea. I just thought this was a neat way of letting you have a look around where I live, as a sort of virtual visit to part of the island kind of thing. This area is Broadford and you are looking across at Broadford Bay. The pointy mountains in the background middle are the Black Cuillins and the more rounded mountains to the left are the Red Cuillins, as they have now become commonly known, or Red Hills as they are actually called.
Looks awful. Remind me never to go there.  ;D

Broadford is our local village and just up the road from us - they have a shop  ;D
But you do have an airport, which is more than Sheffield has! Though as cemetery in your photo is at end of it, that's not so encouraging.
Be nice to see a full sized version of pano.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 11:24:22 am »

Hi Dave,

I wish I had spent more time in your neck of the woods.  Very nice photos.  Seems like you could live there a long time and never run out of things to shoot.

I took a few photos of the Eilean Donan Castle.  Dissappointed that they were doing construction on it.  I was limited to what photos I could take.

Scotland is a bit of a detour for me, but hopefully I can make it back and maybe I'll give you a ring.
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »

Hi Dave,

I wish I had spent more time in your neck of the woods.  Very nice photos.  Seems like you could live there a long time and never run out of things to shoot.

I took a few photos of the Eilean Donan Castle.  Dissappointed that they were doing construction on it.  I was limited to what photos I could take.

Scotland is a bit of a detour for me, but hopefully I can make it back and maybe I'll give you a ring.

Hi Slim,

You must have been up here relatively recently to see the castle with scaffold around it - they usually do work on it if they need to, in the middle of winter, so it looks at its best again before the tourist season begins, but something major must have needed doing to it, to be making repairs on it at this time of the year.

They have actually finished the work on it now after replacing several of the stone chimneys and to be honest, the stone they have used, looks very new compared to the weathered stone it has replaced, so I think it will take at least another winter of weather to make them look more weathered and to match the rest of the castle. Although for silhouette shots against a nice sunset, this is not a worry.

Dave

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 06:57:05 am »

Hi all,

Here is another huge stitched pano of yet another beautiful area of the Highlands near to where I live on Skye (beginning to sound like a travel agent aren't I? - oops, too late  ;D).

But anyway, this is an image of Loch Carron, click on the image to get the full sized view so you can have a look around - can you see the sleeping man?

Took these shots on a one-to-one workshop and guiding tour a few weeks back, so Marty, if you are reading this, I do hope you have something similar now hanging on your wall back home in Orange County.

:)

Dave

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 07:16:21 am »

Just discovered OSX Mavericks rather than finally getting dual screen sorted on OSX, has crippled it in a particularly dumb way. Tried to view your shot at full sizer by dragging window across two screens and  it appears you can only have a window open on one screen and if you try using two then you only see half of the window.
You do a good job as a travel agent for Skye by the way.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up