Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Promote Control - new firmware  (Read 2015 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Promote Control - new firmware
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:13:35 am »

There is a new firmware update for the Promote Control. One of the new features stated in the ability to switch from manual to bulb automatically instead of prompting you to change it on the Canon 5D Mark II.

https://support.promotesystems.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=24

some nice new features.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

walter.sk

Re: Promote Control - new firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:10:06 pm »

...One of the new features stated in the ability to switch from manual to bulb automatically instead of prompting you to change it on the Canon 5D Mark II.
Alan
Thanks for the link.  I looked at the website and did not see any updated reference to the bulb function with the 5D Mark III, which I have.  And one of my favorite HDR shooting situations is around twilight and later, requiring shutter speeds below and above 30".  I read the manual that was unzipped with the firmware upgrade and I am still not clear on whether the Promote Control would work automatically with the 5d Mark III.

Can I assume, if it will now work with the 5DII that it will with the 5DIII?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41:12 pm »

I would think it would work with the 5dm3, give it a try.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »

You're probably right, but I emailed their website with the question.  $300 is too much to gamble with, for me.  But it looks like a very useful device.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:09:26 pm »

Can I assume, if it will now work with the 5DII that it will with the 5DIII?

Having used the PromoteControl with both the 5DII and 5DIII they appear to perform consistently.
However I have not used every function in the PromoteControl armoury with both bodies though.
To Alan's remark though I would be confident to give it a go.

Tony Jay

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:57:24 pm »

Having used the PromoteControl with both the 5DII and 5DIII they appear to perform consistently.
However I have not used every function in the PromoteControl armoury with both bodies though.
To Alan's remark though I would be confident to give it a go.
Tony Jay
I'm sure the Promote Control works well with the 5D III on most functions, but until the new firmware there was no way during HDR shooting to have the Promote Control automatically switch the 5DII or III from regular shutter speeds into Bulb if a long exposure ended up being more than 30".   

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:00:24 am »

I'm sure the Promote Control works well with the 5D III on most functions, but until the new firmware there was no way during HDR shooting to have the Promote Control automatically switch the 5DII or III from regular shutter speeds into Bulb if a long exposure ended up being more than 30".   

Sure. Hopefully it is sorted now.

Tony Jay

walter.sk

Response from Promote Control
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:21 pm »

My credit card was out on the desk when I got this response to my query of the Promote Control people:

"Unfortunately, no. 5D2, 7D and 1Dx cameras have a loophole in their USB logic allowing us to exploit it and force camera transition into Bulb mode via USB. Both 5D3 and 6D cameras don't have that and thus this transition via USB is impossible at this point. Thank you."

Oh, well.  That really was the only feature that I wanted, and was willing to buy the unit.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 04:29:13 pm »

Interesting to know, thanks. Glad I still have my mII.

alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up