Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to replace my 3800  (Read 4412 times)

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
Need to replace my 3800
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »

My 3800 is 5 years old and has developed a problem of yellow nozzles being contaminated with dark ink. But it also has several permanently clogged magenta nozzles. Upshot is I'm leaning to replacing it.

The obvious upgrade is the 3880. My concern is that Epson may be close to announcing new models so I'll regret not having waited. Apparently, there is unlikely to be a 3900 due to size of required printhead. But I could see a new ink set taking the 38XX series in a new direction. I'm particularly interested in the possibility of a new ink set given the less than stellar longevity numbers for the Ultrachrome family.

Any crystal ball reading or other advice will be much appreciated. ;)

I.T. Supplies

Re: Need to replace my 3800
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 03:45:48 pm »

Dale,

Epson hasn't announced a replacement for the 3800 series since the 3880 came out a few years ago.  The 4900 is the newest model of the 17" area for the past year and a half.  You should be good to purchase this model as it may be a while until they come out with a replacement for this version.

We haven't heard as many issues with the 3880 as opposed to the 3800.  The same ink set, thought the magentas are the only different cartridges.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding these.

Atlex.com
800-327-2822

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:06:20 pm »

I have a 4900 and 3880. Like you, a 3800 before. I love the 3880, and I use it far more than the other. I've never had a clogging issue with the 3880 but the 4900 is just the opposite. The 3880 is an awesome printer.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MHMG

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:54:32 pm »

I have a 4900 and 3880. Like you, a 3800 before. I love the 3880, and I use it far more than the other. I've never had a clogging issue with the 3880 but the 4900 is just the opposite. The 3880 is an awesome printer.

Yup, I totally agree that the 3880 has very few clogs and is easy to clear when they do happen.  But mine dribbles random ink on the paper at a horrific frequency.  On my particular unit, about 1 in 5 prints is a reject due to a magenta blob, cyan blob, or black blob on the paper somewhere. Usually about 0.5 to 1 mm in diameter. Typically about an inch from the edge of the media on either left or right side. Setting platten wider on the off chance the ink excess is on the head and might stay there with a wider gap didn't help. Parking the head at the capping station by turning off and then on and/or running a heavy cleaning cycle will get me a few dribble-free prints but the problem soon returns.  And test samples I have received from other Aardenburg members indicate I'm not alone with this problem.

The problem was there from day one on my unit, but I was too slow to recognize that it would be a chronic problem since I wasn't printing with the 3880 all that much in the first year I owned it.  I'd like to now start using it more, but I'm now out of warranty with a printer that was little used and is basically a paper weight in my studio. I won't risk expensive high quality papers to this absurd reject rate.

My advice to new 3880 buyers would be to run a couple of dozen prints right in a row while it's still in warranty and count your rejects.  If you got one like mine, maybe Epson will repair/replace.

mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:01:13 pm by MHMG »

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:27 pm »

I'm in the same boat.  Many good years with the 3800.  Not enough improvement when the 3880 came out to justify an upgrade.  And, of course, the 3880 has now been out long enough that you have to figure a replacements has to be in the works.  Right?  Except that I've been thinking that for over a year now...

Forced to action - my 3800 recently began microbanding on ABW prints.  The new 3880 arrived today. 

Sal Baker

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »

If Epson follows their usual pattern they would announce a new printer in late summer with availability around the first of next year, and ability to actually get one around this time next year.  The newer Epsons have not been clog-free like the 3880 so who knows if a newer version would be better.

My 3880 is 3 years old and I've never had any ink spotting issues or clogs.  Maybe it's the way I use it?  I never switch blacks and I never print borderless.  I turn it off after printing sessions (sometime weeks) and keep it covered.  If mine suddenly failed I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Sal

enduser

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:15:14 am »

Does the 3880 have a lower nozzle density which is why it hardly ever clogs?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:03:03 am »

The problem was there from day one on my unit, but I was too slow to recognize that it would be a chronic problem since I wasn't printing with the 3880 all that much in the first year I owned it.

Never had that issue on this end.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Dale_Cotton2

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:28:55 am »

Thanks so much! All replies were extremely helpful. Clearly, upgrading to 3880 is my best option. Will just have to take my chances that an Ultradye ink set with century+ longevity, Dmax to dye for, and near-zero clog potential isn't just around the corner.

Enduser wrote:
Does the 3880 have a lower nozzle density which is why it hardly ever clogs?

The 3800, 3880, and 4900 all have 3.5 picoliter droplet size. Epson are claiming:

"This professional print head also incorporates an ink-repelling coating which decreases maintenance and increases reliability."

But also the 3880 simply has significantly fewer nozzles to clog.

howardm

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 01:20:31 pm »

Apparently the 3880 has a teflon coated printhead.  Sure  wish my 3800 had it as it always clogs (Cyan is esp. bad) if left sitting.

AWeil

• http://www.awl-photo.com
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:45:03 pm »

Yes, get a 3880. I have it for quite some time now. No problems, even if not in use for a few month.

Glad to hear from you, btw.

Best, Angela

elolaugesen

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 12:13:00 pm »

my 3800 started to have a magenta nozzle problems...  bought a 3880..   arrived..   cyan blobs did not even get past first nozzle check...  followed their advice down to 36 % maintenance tank.    no prints, not one clean nozzle ..   waiting for service person...

cheers ..   elo

Dale_Cotton2

Re: Need to replace my 3800 (update & questions)
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:10:18 pm »

Just a data point: received and installed today new 3880 with zero evident problems (in contrast with others posting above who have not been so lucky).

As per advice from retailer, I saved all cartridges from 3800 except magentas, used new carts during installation/charging, then swapped in the old carts. The new carts only look to have about 10 or 15% ink depletion after that initial ink line charging. I'm sure I remember it being more like a 30% drop after line charging for 3800 five years ago (maybe cartridges supplied back then shipped less than 100% full?). 

As old ink is used up I'll swap the new cartridges back in; but in meantime have put them back in their blue vinyl bags and taped the bags closed. Retailer suggests standing carts with nozzle end up to prevent leakage, but I'm a little concerned that nozzles will dry out in spite of hopefully air-tight bag enclosure. Any thoughts?

BTW: anyone near Pickering Ontario want a nearly-full standard Magenta cartridge?

elolaugesen

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 04:41:55 pm »

hi: should have come back earlier.   Epson replaced my 3880 without a whimper.  was delivered 2 days later.  up and running and works as it should.

no complaints at this time.  Except my other half the artist thinks the prints are better with a slight gloss she has not seen before.  I only use matte inks.  Solved the 3880 issue with the automatic shut down after eight hours of no printing.

cheers elo

chaddro

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 04:56:17 pm »

My 3800 is 5 years old and has developed a problem of yellow nozzles being contaminated with dark ink.

Hey Dale! My 3800 has recently started to also contaminate the yellow channel, and leave globs on ink all over prints. I'm thinking it's a leaking supply line. No clogs at all, but unusable with the contaminated yellow :p
Pages: [1]   Go Up