Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me out here. Fuji X100 or Lumix GF2?  (Read 1154 times)

Robert Brummitt

Help me out here. Fuji X100 or Lumix GF2?
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:52 am »

Hi all,
I have a friend who has a Fuji X100 and a Panasonic Lumix GF2 (a micro 4/3 camera) that's hardly been used with a 20 mm f 1.7 (equivalent to 40 mm) and a 14-45 mm zoom f 3.5-5.6 (28-90 equivalent plus a view finder. He's interested in selling one or the other to me. I am in the market for a street photography camera and something I can use for some basketball shots.
I've done my research and I'm leaning more towards the x100.
Basically because of styling. That Fuji looks so cool! I get more for my buck with the Lumix but that camera just doesn't have any style. It's a big lens on a box.
What do you all think?
Help a brother out here!

TMARK

Re: Help me out here. Fuji X100 or Lumix GF2?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:06:28 pm »

X100 IQ is awesome.  It is silent.  The lens is sharp.  It is small.  Ideal for street.

Best color w/o post of almost any digital camera I've used.  Great B&W too.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Help me out here. Fuji X100 or Lumix GF2?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:15:34 pm »

It's not as easy an answer is one might think at first glance, but I'm going with X100. 

The older M4/3 chips are decent to ISO400 and usable at 800. The GF2 is okay, kind of dumbed down from the GF1. The AF works well. The 20mm is a very nice lens. If I had to choose between my GF1/20mm combo and the X100, it would be a tougher choice.

However, the X100 has a larger sensor, much better high ISO quality, handles well, and the AF issues seem to have been mostly overcome with firmware updates. It has a built-in viewfinder, which is much easier to deal with than the clip-on EVF of the GF2. The lens on the X100 is also excellent. The only widely reported downsides all have to do with the user interface, not the image quality. If you've handled it, and like it, that's the one I'd choose.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up