Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TetherPro Cable issues with C1?  (Read 1679 times)

robertraymer

• Robert Raymer Photography
TetherPro Cable issues with C1?
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »

So I just bought a TetherPro 16ft USB 3 active extension cable to use in conjunction with the USB3 cable supplied with my D800. According to the specs I should be able to use the cable and up to 4 active extension cables without any issues. Unfortunately, when I used it for the first time to test it today I had some issues and I am wondering is it something Im doing, have other people had the same issues, or is it more likely I just got a Dud?

Essentially, when connecting my camera via the Tether Pro cable C1 will recognize the camera and allow me to trigger the camera manually, through C1, and through Camera Control. The problem is that after the camera fires it will not load the images into the session and will no longer recognize the camera until I turn the camera off and on, at which point attempting to capture an image repeats the same series of events. I tested the tethering with just the cable supplied by Nikon to make sure I was not making an error somewhere else, and had no issues capturing images or having them load to the camera?

Any ideas?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: TetherPro Cable issues with C1?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:40:15 pm »

To a mac?

Don't shoot Nikon but Canon and I've had on and off problems with long usb extensions.  I've had zero problems with a windows machine but so so luck with Mac.

I'm working now, on 10.8.2 with the only extender I have used at works, a Sewell.

http://sewelldirect.com/USB-20-Active-Extension-Cable-34-ft.asp

Works great until it gets dropped a few too many times then it does exactly what you are complaining about.  The cable will still work great with a windows machine.

Put a new cable on the Mac and it works again, at least until the cable gets flakey.

Next time I order I'm going fro dual 15' extenders instead of a a 32'.

BTW, you can due usb over cat 5 but be aware that the reasonably priced ones are USB 1.1 and they are painfully slow to transfer files.  30 to 45 seconds for a single file to make it to the computer from a 5dII

Usb 2  cat 5 is a WHOLE lot of money.

BTW I have the same issues regardless of program, C1, DSLR Remote or EOS Utility

Craig Lamson Photo

craigwashburn

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:56 pm »

If you don't have the same problem when connecting to the same port just by the supplied D800 cable, then it must be the cable. 

Like the other poster says, it could be that the port on the machine is more sensitive to signal issues, but the cable is still the trigger of it.

David McCaughan

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:22:32 am »

I would suggest looking into which USB port you are using. Macs seem to  prioritize them. Depending on the machine you are using, the iMacs work from the right to left if looking at the back of the machine, My old MBpro the one on the left had a full 5W, the one on the right was less. I rarely have a problem using 1 or 2 16ft. active extensions with a 1ft. "break away" at the camera.
Good luck,
Dave

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:37:26 am »

Usb2 = 4 extensions
Usb3 = in most cases 1 extension
Pages: [1]   Go Up