Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just upgraded to a new printer.  (Read 1565 times)

Jimmy D Uptain

Just upgraded to a new printer.
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:18:12 pm »

After some soul searching, I decided that my 3880 wasn't gonna cut it as far as size goes.
I have a few prints that I would like to have larger than 17 x ***. So today I picked up a new 7900.
This comes after reading most of the Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out.
It didn't frighten me away but led me to believe that even if there are issues, I'll be able to resolve them.

I have to say this machine is enormous. I asked a friend to come over and help me move a printer. After today, I don't think he will be returning any of my phone calls.
I did promise him "at cost" prints if the need arose. I hope that soothed things over.
We got it mounted to the stand, and now, I just have to find somewhere to put it.
Sounds silly, I know. I just didn't grasp the sheer bulk of this thing. I guess it also sounds silly to
buy such a large printer but I'm a bit of a control freak and like to manage my own prints. Not being able to print above 17" bothered me.. a lot.

I have ordered a roll of Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (favorite paper so far) and plan on getting a roll of canvas.

I am a newbie on this forum but have been reading a lot as of late. (I work the night shift as a QA Tech and have internet access :) )

Anyway, looking forward to reading more on this site about all aspects of photography.

Now I just gotta find a home for my lil 3880.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Just upgraded to a new printer.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:40 pm »

I found that giving up the TV and generally saying "bye bye Living Room" had advantages that went way beyond just making space for the printer.  I'll spend some couch potato time in the next life, but would like to do something a little more creative with this one.

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:06:19 pm »

Now I just gotta find a home for my lil 3880.
It is handy for times when you don't want to do a PK/MK switch. It is also better at sheets, especially when you don't want that 0.56 inch trailling edge. It is handy for using those small scraps of expensive paper that the 7900 can't handle. And it seems to be a lot less clog prone than any other Epson pigment ink printer.

Brian A

MBrew

• Brewsphoto.Com
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:20:21 am »

Congratulations on bringing the 7900 home. Don't be hasty about kissing the 3880 goodbye.  It is really handy for cards and small prints for the wife as well as a backup when the 7900 is being obstinate. When I bought my first 7900, it was forced to reside in the darkroom fed by a print server AFTER I sold and/or gave away a Beseler 45 and a Kreonite Processor to make room for it.   I had my first 7900 (purchased used with 9 prints on the register and starter inks still working) for several years and I too read Eric's thread and finally my day did come.  The head died and the cost to resurrect it was greater than the cost to replace the whole printer.  It died around Thanksgiving and I struggled with whether to give up on Epson or roll the dice again.The Canon IPF 8400 was calling my name but my banker (wife) couldn't hear it.  You cannot beat the print quality from the 7900!  Last week I scored another 7900 on Craig's List that was part of an estate sale.  The value of the extra ink exceeded the negotiated price so I brought it home and it works like a dream.  Yes, it would be nice to have a new one with warranty or another brand w/44" paper path but ...  some of us are cheap and  prone to take a few risks.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:02:39 am »

Hey MBrew, did you used to get chronic blix contamination in the developer on that Kreonite?  Drove one of those for a couple years in the 70's.

A 7900 would have seemed like something out of science fiction at the time, when even science fiction writers mostly assumed photography would still be an analog process in The Future.

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Cripes, a Kreonite!  Now back to topic.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:55:28 am »

I'd like a 7900 but I'm not sure where I would put it. Maybe I could put the microwave on top of it.  ;D

Congrats on your new printer!

Sharon

Funny you mentioned that. It now resides in the kitchen until I can make room.
My wife says it doesn't fit in with her decorative "vision".

It is handy for times when you don't want to do a PK/MK switch. It is also better at sheets, especially when you don't want that 0.56 inch trailling edge. It is handy for using those small scraps of expensive paper that the 7900 can't handle. And it seems to be a lot less clog prone than any other Epson pigment ink printer.

Brian A
I never print matte. Maybe it's time to give it a shot.
The problem is, I honestly don't have a lot of space to work with.
Believe me, the 3880 is an outstanding printer. Had I had the money at the time, a 4900 would have been bought.
At the time of the 3880 purchase,the local Epson dealer had a 4800 trade-in that could have been had very reasonable.
I felt it was too big and didn't like that fact it wouldn't swap MK/PK automatically. Now I feel pretty stupid.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:35 am »

You're going to love it! I got one last summer. It is a monster, and after the pallet was dropped off in my garage I had to call a moving company and ask for "2 guys with muscles" to move it to the final location.
Pages: [1]   Go Up