Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know  (Read 106985 times)

FredBGG

Re: Phase One IQ260, IQ280, and Achromatic - 11 Things to Know
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »

1.  Does the wi-fi signal go to more than one Ipad?  This to me is really important as 1/2 the projects we do have multiple "eyes" that want/need to see.

No. On launch day it will only work with one iPad/iPhone/iPodTouch. It's possible that they may implement the ability to have a second device connect, but the second device would have limited capability (e.g. maybe it couldn't zoom to 100% or maybe it could only show thumbnails).

Doug and BC... how about something like this.

Have one iPad that is the one that communicates to the back and then have this iPad forward (broadcast) what you are looking at.
This way the back would only have to "deal" with one iPad.
You could even do this in a manner that only what the person on the main iPad decides want is to be made available to the other iPads.

You could even make the main iPad store what is viewed on it in a session and make that available for viewing on the other iPads without
having to "bother" the back again.

I imagine that viewing files that are on iPad from the back might interfere with capture, so keeping the rest of the crew away from accessing the back
would be a good thing.

gerald.d

« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2013, 11:35:03 pm »

Fred got their first, but presumably you could use AirPlay to mirror the iPad screen to an Apple TV.

For a Mac, you can use something like Reflector, and then mirror to multiple other computers.

Not sure if there's a way to mirror to multiple iOS devices, but I'd be amazed if there wasn't something out there already that can do this.

/edit

According to this article, you can mirror an iOS device, through Air Display running on a Mac, to another iOS device.

Time for some reading up on this I think to understand the potential :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:00:51 am by gerald.d »

gazwas

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2013, 03:36:13 am »

I am with Bernard - as a landscape photographer viewing the image on the back of the camera and using live view for critical focus would be my preferred choice.

However, the prerequisite to shooting MFD is not just landscape photography and I find it amazing that some people are unhappy with Wifi intergration and think it pointless? ?

Sooting interiors on a Tech camera with a huge iPad preview screen attached to the tripod will not only make my life much easier but if clients are on set it will be very impressive. I can hear then now - "What no cables.... wow". I say Nice work P1.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

MrSmith

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2013, 05:13:48 am »

Will it do stepped focussing (from the phone/iPad)?  That would be a useful feature for stacking. It's already working for 35mm dslr's.

torger

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:16 am »

I agree that a large screen makes you see things which are not visible on smaller previews back on a MFDB or on a DSLR. Depth of field issues for example.

It's thinkable for me to hike with a tablet to get that large screen when doing landscape photography, but not with any iOS products, those are *not* for outdoor use. They absolutely suck concerning reliability in any sort of weather or heat or cold. The android tablet market is much more diverse and open, there are hardened android tablets for outdoor use for example, so I think it is a bit unfortunate that only Apple products are supported by the IQ2. The Apple products are "cooler" and more desirable by the general public though, so to impress clients I guess it is the right choice.

This tablet for example: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/06/fujitsu-stylistic-m702-hands-on/ I'd rather trust out in the field than an iPad.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:28:54 am by torger »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2013, 06:23:01 am »

However, the prerequisite to shooting MFD is not just landscape photography and I find it amazing that some people are unhappy with Wifi intergration and think it pointless? ?

I don't believe anyone here wrote wifi was pointless as an IQ back feature.

I just wrote that it doesn't contribute to making these backs more appealing for my landscape applications.

Cheers,
Bernard

julienlanoo

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:08 pm »

yeah wifi is a FANTASTIC idea,

hoping it could do file transfer correctly in the future :) :p
( as Canon's option was SH**) mmmmhh no coffee cups broken anymore by tripping over cables.. :)
No 1000h calls to Apple to repair a laptop screen, :) mmmhh heaven !!

Just some "gainsbourg" in the studio and the click beep from camera and flashes

mmbma

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:33 pm »

For me the deicision is between 260 or 280. I think Phase priced this one so accurately that the decision is truly difficult. I personaly don't NEED the long exposure feature. It's nice to have and will allow me to experiment with more things, but to be honest I never found the P65+ exposure length to be lacking.

So, 14k for the IQ260 or 17.5K for a IQ280? I suspect the 260 will outsell the 280 due to this "must have" feature to certain photographers, while the IQ280 is less of an evolution from the 180. Perhaps in 2 years the two backs would be of the saime price on second hand market? Although Phase will always give a higher trade in value for the 280 backs when upgrade time comes.

Decisions decisions. 3.5k for extra 20M pixels?

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2013, 03:49:39 pm »

One thing to keep in mind is that the x60 series has a sensor that is ever so slightly larger than the x80 series, yielding a hair more image area.  It's only 0.2mm on the long side, but for me that means that every so often I don't have to go to the next wider lens for that little bit extra image.  This plays out much more critically in Architecture than, say... Landscapes or Fashion.

It seems I've always got my camera against the wall wishing I could go to the 55 but stuck with the 43.

gazwas

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2013, 04:34:23 pm »

Decisions decisions. 3.5k for extra 20M pixels?

And a heap load of headache with certain tech lenses....... No contest IMO.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2013, 08:14:03 pm »

And a heap load of headache with certain tech lenses....... No contest IMO.

Nah, no heap load headaches.  It's just means a heap load of (more) money to buy certain tech (Rodenstock) lenses.   ;D

Marlyn

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2013, 12:29:45 am »

The real question being why image review is needed in the field at all when shooting landscape...

I can understand the value of wifi for the x% of IQ users shooting for clients in "studio" environment (indoors or outdoors) because it may help show them live images being shot (but a large HDMI screen sounds better when possible).

Now, it appears to me that a majority of Phaseone customers are not shooting for clients in a pro environment. Is this assumption correct? For those guys (let's call them landscape shooters for the sake of discussion) isn't perfect focusing with live view a better solution? Light can be disapearing fast, why have to go through a focus accuracy check on an ipad you have to carry around in the field? Genuine question... I would really like to understand the use case.

Cheers,
Bernard

Good question Bernard.

As a user of Phase + Technical camera for landscape work,  I find the WiFi to iPad for the field to be a fascinating and likely very useful feature.  This is especially true if/when it supports liveView on the iPad as is planned.  (Although not in first release as Doug points out).

Unlike many, I find live view on the Phase to be extremely useful and I use it all the time.   It does require some effort with ND's, but like anything, once you have a system in place,  a shooting workflow, it becomes straightforward.  This, combined with the Focus Mask,  to me, is $$$.    I feel making this available on a larger screen (and where I don't have to contort myself behind the back at times to get a clear view) will be extremely valuable to me.

The iPad mini, which has recently become my new best friend (over the iPad 3), also makes this more viable, as it fits in a jacket pocket with ease.

I ordered the upgrade from 160 to 260 due to two features alone.   1. Long Exposure, 2. Wifi to the iPad.    These are what matter to ME and make it very attractive and I am pleased with what phase has done with the new backs.   As always, everyone else's millage may vary depending on your use case.

Note: I use a TECHNICAL camera exclusively for Medium Format.  Nothing in a DSLR range gives me the options this does which I find useful, so many of the other comparison features are not relevant to the way I want to work.   I own a wide range of DSLR's from various manufacturer,  but what ends up going into the field for landscapes, is the tech cam.     Including right now as I type this from Iceland, about to start a shoot.

All in all, it is a good time to be a photographer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:33:03 am by Marlyn »

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2013, 01:07:15 am »

Will the Phase One improvements filter down or across to the Credo range?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

gazwas

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:41 am »

I'd be very surprised with the IQ being the "premium" product line. A bit like how focus mask never made it across to the Credo I guess even though IQ/Credo share the same technology so is possible.

design_freak

« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »

I read and wonder. Since we have wifi, the screen is not needed. Through this equipment could be more durable, use less energy ...
Best regards,
DF

MrSmith

« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2013, 12:20:55 pm »

Will it do stepped focussing (from the phone/iPad)?  That would be a useful feature for stacking. It's already working for 35mm dslr's.

Apolagies if this has been answered already but as 'remote control of the camera' is supported will you be able to control a phase camera/lens from a tablet/phone and do focus bracketing without touching the camera?

FredBGG

« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:36 pm »

The iPad mini, which has recently become my new best friend (over the iPad 3), also makes this more viable, as it fits in a jacket pocket with ease.

The iPad mini could make a great sidekick for the new IQ backs. Someone needs to make a folding loup so as to make viewing these tablets
out in the sun. I've made my own.... it's really nice to be able to check images while blocking out all outside light.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2013, 01:17:16 pm »

Apolagies if this has been answered already but as 'remote control of the camera' is supported will you be able to control a phase camera/lens from a tablet/phone and do focus bracketing without touching the camera?

No. Remote stepping of focus for focus bracketing will not be possible.

MrSmith

« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2013, 01:18:21 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up.

FredBGG

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2013, 11:53:12 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up.

The Rollei Hy6 can in camera control focus for focus stacking if you need it in MF.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up