Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning on MF plunge. Gear advice please (30-50K)  (Read 8843 times)

FredBGG

Re: Planning on MF plunge. Gear advice please (30-50K)
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »

Hey Fred,

When you use your 645D what lenses do you use?

The newer designed digital based lenses or older film era lenses?

Did you get a chance to compare them, because I wonder if there is a difference?

The 645D looks like a great camera and I'm sure that your enjoying it.

I'd love to see some photos you shot from it.

I bet they're great.

BC

I don't use the Pentax 645D, but tested it.... I think you know that already.
I only tested it with the 55mm DA and the 120mm Macro FA.
Both very nice lenses.

View finder is very nice too. Far better than the Film Pentax 645 I had years ago.

Anyway I decided against buying one and prefer the combination of D800/D800E and shooting large 6x8 MF film and 8x10 large format.

A larger full frame sensor in a Pentax 645D II would might sway me .....

FredBGG

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 10:55:06 pm »

It does skin very well in the studio and in the real world.

There is a fellow that has many images posted on flickr. Lots of portraits.
Plenty of images showing skin tones in many situations, models and portraits

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13377977@N04/5840902476/in/photostream/

But really these days skin tones are really very very good with d800, Phase, Pentax, Hasselblad. All the high end
do very well. Skin tone issues are more likely to be lighting problems, casting the right model and how the subjects skin is on the day you shoot.

It's also funny how so many people go on and on about skin tones and then manipulate the skin tones so much in post that they have nothing to
do with the colors the camera captures.

Ray Cox

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:21 pm »

Another well pleased Pentax 645D owner here.  I have really put this thing through it's paces without a single hiccup. Today it was soaking wet when I stopped shooting in a heavy wet snow. I have several lenses and find them all to be satisfactory. I too read all of the "tests".  Currently using the 35A, 75A, 120FA, 200A, and 400FA. I am able to produce and sell 80 inch prints that are tack sharp.
I guess I really don't understand all of the concern about write speed and high iso. Wasn't too long ago that I liked Kodachrome 64 because it was so fast. Then I waited a week [write speed?] for the film to come back to see the results. Ah, life in the slow lane!    

tsjanik

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:11 am »

................I guess I really don't understand all of the concern about write speed and high iso. Wasn't too long ago that I liked Kodachrome 64 because it was so fast. Then I waited a week [write speed?] for the film to come back to see the results. Ah, life in the slow lane!    

LOL, me too.  For really low light there was Kodachrome 200!  The preview is slow, but I once took eight shots in ten seconds trying to capture a landing goose. Not bad for MF

Ray Cox

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 09:40:20 am »

I guess what I really like is how tough this thing is. It is built like a tank. I suppose I should keep my mouth shut because sooner or later I will want to trade cameras, but...       This camera took roll down a flight of six uncarpeted stairs with the 120 attached. Didn't faze it. Fell out of  the front seat of the car onto the black top, a little road rash. Works great!  Been baked in the sun, carried up hill and dale, wet and dusty. Picked up this old friend and put it to work this morning. It didn't ask any questions and delivered.   I think I'm in love.    Ray

theguywitha645d

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 12:53:08 pm »

BTW, you don't get a better camera because you pay more money--you simply get a more expensive camera. So, to say I want to spend $30K on a camera is not really a very meaningful statement. You really want a camera you will use, AND then see if you have the budget.

satybhat

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 03:50:09 pm »

THanks chaps.
no I don't necessarily HAVE to spend 30-40K. That happens to be the budget. In all likelihood, I will rent a back and buy the system. a year or so, if I have consistent use, I will buy a back.

Overall, if asked what my the over-arching requirement, I would say:
I want to make 2 x 1.5m prints if required for the best of my files.
Would the pentax 645D satisfy ? Your experience and opinions welcome here.

Which is the reason why I considered MF in the first place. The exhibition requires me to make large prints ( I have an allocation of 3 frames upto 2x1.5m dimensions). A few important chaps from the local art scene will attend. I have no hopes to turn professional for now  (I work as a doctor), but who knows, someone might like my work.

So I rephrase. 2 x 1.5m prints: what system will satisfy ? Film is too tedious here in Oz.
Cheers chiefs.

Pics2

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 04:46:10 pm »

THanks chaps.
no I don't necessarily HAVE to spend 30-40K. That happens to be the budget. In all likelihood, I will rent a back and buy the system. a year or so, if I have consistent use, I will buy a back.

I went the same route myself. But, it turned out to be a mistake, at least with Mamiya/Phase. Buying DF body + 80mm lens WITH a back is much much cheaper than buying it separately. They even have special offers on additional lens from time to time. I find buying DF body separately not attractive at all.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 04:56:32 pm »

THanks chaps.

Overall, if asked what my the over-arching requirement, I would say:
I want to make 2 x 1.5m prints if required for the best of my files.
Would the pentax 645D satisfy ? Your experience and opinions welcome here.

Which is the reason why I considered MF in the first place. The exhibition requires me to make large prints ( I have an allocation of 3 frames upto 2x1.5m dimensions). A few important chaps from the local art scene will attend. I have no hopes to turn professional for now  (I work as a doctor), but who knows, someone might like my work.

So I rephrase. 2 x 1.5m prints: what system will satisfy ? Film is too tedious here in Oz.
Cheers chiefs.

Well, I print on a 44" roll-paper printer--really expensive to go bigger or you need to join multiple sheets. I have a 1.07m X 4m panorama on my wall where I cannot see all the detail in the file. That 1.07m is the short edge of the 645D frame. I think you will be able to make really nice 2m x 1.5m prints from a 645D or any 40MP back.

satybhat

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:57 pm »

I went the same route myself. But, it turned out to be a mistake, at least with Mamiya/Phase. Buying DF body + 80mm lens WITH a back is much much cheaper than buying it separately. They even have special offers on additional lens from time to time. I find buying DF body separately not attractive at all.

Ah,
therein lies my elegant solution: See, since last week, I have been toying with the idea of getting a tech cam, something along the lines of Alpa 12TCS, with a rented back.
Then, only if I need to plunge into a MF camera on the lines of 645DF+ or something, I will over the next year do that.
Any thoughts on that ? or am I being ridiculous !! :-\

FredBGG

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:45 pm »

Ah,
therein lies my elegant solution: See, since last week, I have been toying with the idea of getting a tech cam, something along the lines of Alpa 12TCS, with a rented back.
Then, only if I need to plunge into a MF camera on the lines of 645DF+ or something, I will over the next year do that.
Any thoughts on that ? or am I being ridiculous !! :-\

I think that is a very smart move. Maybe even see if you can rent the tech camera too.
Renting the back at first is a good idea as it is an expensive commitment.
Have you considered hiring a digitec who owns a tech camera for a short trip?

I also think that something to consider is a combination of cameras.

Tech camera and a D800E. Two different approaches. Both together offer the best of both worlds and are compact enough to travel together
and you would have redundancy.

tsjanik

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:06 pm »

I guess what I really like is how tough this thing is. It is built like a tank. I suppose I should keep my mouth shut because sooner or later I will want to trade cameras, but...       This camera took roll down a flight of six uncarpeted stairs with the 120 attached. Didn't faze it. Fell out of  the front seat of the car onto the black top, a little road rash. Works great!  Been baked in the sun, carried up hill and dale, wet and dusty. Picked up this old friend and put it to work this morning. It didn't ask any questions and delivered.   I think I'm in love.    Ray

I'm somewhat kinder to mine.  Still, 2.3 years without a glitch - I look forward to the 645dII.

Ray Cox

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 12:32:56 pm »

Yes, I know, I should be a bit more careful. Seriously though, this has been a great experience with this camera. It's like having a DSLR on steroids. I keep it on the seat next to me as I travel, always ready to go. Incredible battery life. I rarely turn it off and just leave it on so it is always ready. Of course I learned from days gone by running cars at the drag strip that cubic money will always trump cubic inches!  Soooo....   I suppose that means that if you spend a ton of money you will get great images?  When I look at great art pieces I always check to see that they have great detail from way up close (satire alert).
I know it is thrilling to see a bug on a leaf printed a quarter inch in diameter rendered crisply in an 8ft panorama. I admit to having fallen into that trap also at times. If the viewer emotional response isn't there is it a successful image?  As always, the best camera is the one you are actually using and creating images that are meaningful to you.      Ray   

tsjanik

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 09:36:07 pm »

........................... If the viewer emotional response isn't there is it a successful image?  ...................................
      Ray   

It's successful if the photographer likes it.  Anything else is gravy.

telyt

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 09:50:45 am »

The Leica S is weather resistant, has outstanding native lenses, and adapters for Hasselblad H (with full AF and aperture control), Pentax 645 and other lenses (w/ manual everything) are available.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3214761610/leica-s2-against-megapixel-arms-race

satybhat

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »

great ...
a little respite from absolute confusion all over...
I seem to have gravitated towards a decision:

step one: decide and buy a tech camera system (my next forum question- if information is not already there)  8)
step two: rent a back. try the system, then buy.

thanks guys...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up