First of all, let me say with no ire: This is SO different from the other forums I've frequented !! Loads of information, great shots, inspirations abound !!
So I come from the 35mm category for the last 10 years, and after unbelievable amount of GAS, I settled on the 1D4 for Bif, and M9 for family / portraiture / travel / landscape. . I will probably be selling the M9 (and lenses) and possibly also the 1D4 and paraphrenalia.
Have been about 14 years in the medical field and have possibly squeezed in about 20 yrs of hard work, I am now at a stage where I finally get some time for doing contemplative landscape fine art, an occasional jab at large prints, possibly starting end of this year. Come June, a bit of medical related work will start finally paying off and I may be in a position to get some MF gear I'm possibly doing an exhibition in Dec at a local community hall. (M9 is a bit like been there, done that and unless upscaled, does not stand to gallery sized prints)
So please help me with your ideas about gear selection: ( I have already read and re-read the post from Natalie )twice( but my requirements are slightly different ).
Most importantly, I think I am in it for the long term- I have my own ideas about landscape photography and haven't really had any time to ponder and develop these more.
1. Weight may not be an issue, but I don't want to be lugging bellows and behemoths. I would mostly travel with the family: wifey (may the good Lord give her more patience) and 2 kids.
2. planned visits this year (all in Australia): One trip to Tasmanian forests: moisture / damp / rain. One to islands further south (cold / ice) . One to Lake Eyre (heat) - no family on the last 2 trips . Subject matter: landscapes.
3. Cost bracket for gear: 30K to 50K.
So I'm not sure what system I would go into.
For some reason, Hasselblad does not appeal, apart from their 'Tru-phocus". They seem to have gone the leica way: great lenses, ok cameras and more of a luxury-client approach.
1. P1: appeals, not sure about P65 vs the new IQ sensors ( should I buy the system or should I be renting the back and buy the camera and lenses and put more money into travel and printing ?
2. The technical cameras (Alpa / Cambo) appeal, but have no idea about these at all. If the back is digital, are there any advantages ( aside of no electronics ) to having tech rigs as against integrated systems say 645AF ?
3. If printing 1: 1, what would be the print sizes for a non-scaled images from P65, IQ 140 , IQ 160 and IQ 180 at 300 dpi?
4. Are the backs light rain-proof ?
Thanks in advance.