Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for online backup  (Read 37237 times)

JohnCox123

Options for online backup
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:46:46 pm »

I have back ups of most of my work on 2 physical drives and (portfolio items) on my zenfolio account.  I'd like to eliminate one physical drive and use a dedicated online back up. I really don't know anything about this. Who offers the most reliable, and who offers the most affordable online backup?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Options for online backup
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:26:29 am »

Hi,

I use CrashPlan www.crashplan.com, which has very good reviews and it has different pricing options according to your needs.

Just in case, I haven't required to do any restore so far.

I would advise against eliminating one of your physical drives. Online backups offer an additional recovery possibility for your files, especially in cases of disaster or media loss, but the speed of backup or recovery depends on your internet connection and it could take very long to restore image libraries, where sizes in the hundred of GB or even TB are common.

Regards

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:47:37 am »

For non photographic work, I'm also using CrashPlan. I've done partial restores (worked OK) and considering the price, I'm satisfied with the service.

FWIW, I would keep the second HD and use online backup as an additional "rescue device".
Francois

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:15:03 am »

Using CrashPlan of a bit over a year, no complaints whatsoever. It did take days and days to upload all my data, but I did this on a Macbook running alone and it didn't interrupt other work.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:43:54 am »

Same here.. Crashplan is the best of the bunch. They had a Christmas offer for a year free, can't beat that. It took me a while to upload 500 GB from my Mac Pro but that included everything. I wanted to upload my data drives but at over 1TB each I couldn't justify leaving my computer running 24/7, especially when I was away. So, I have two sets of external HDs that I back them up to, one of which I bring with me when I leave.

For my laptop I am using Backblaze but that's only around 50GB of stuff. The only drawback is that I can't back up everything like Crashplan so when my contract is up I'll be switching to Crashplan.

Crashplan, highly recommended.

JohnCox123

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:20:23 pm »

Thanks, looks like I'll look up CrashPlan

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:16:15 am »

Any do larger data stacks than that? I'm looking to back up 8 TB of data...

fennario

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:54 pm »

Have over 6.5tb on Backblaze.  Have tried Mozy and Crashplan but they did not play well with my late 2008 MacPro... (i) extremely low upload transfer rate such that they were never able to complete the initial backups (gave each company over a year); and (ii) eliminated their flat-fee unlimited storage plans.  Backblaze got things done in about 2 months and the incrementals have been going smoothly since.  Have not had to recover from any of the providers so can not comment on that aspect of the service.

phcorrigan

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 09:08:43 pm »

Crashplan gives you the option to "seed" the backup by shipping them a hard disk.

One thing to watch for, BTW, is traffic restrictions by your ISP. For example, Comcast used to limit you to 250 GB per month, and they would suspend service if you exceeded the limit twice. They have recently changed this policy, but their current policy is still unclear.
Patrick Corrigan
Author, Data Protection for Photographers, now available (http://rockynook.com/book/0/259/data-protection-for-photographers.html)
Website/blog: http://dpworkflow.com

francois

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 03:07:32 am »

Crashplan gives you the option to "seed" the backup by shipping them a hard disk.

Please, not that unless it has changed, this service is only available for US residents.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up