Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem Using Edit In  (Read 1853 times)

JimGoshorn

Problem Using Edit In
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:30 pm »

Hi,

I must be missing something but I am having a problem with Edit In. I set the Alternate Editor prefs to create TIFFs but when I select Edit In, select the plug-in and select Edit A Copy, LR creates a copy but it is a psd file instead of a tiff. I included a snapshot of the Edit In dialog which shows the file type of the copy as tiff.

LR 4.3, OSX 10.7.5

What am I doing wrong?

Jim
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:24:01 pm by JimGoshorn »

Stan A

Re: Problem Using Edit In
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:25:29 am »

Hi,

I must be missing something but I am having a problem with Edit In. I set the Alternate Editor prefs to create TIFFs but when I select Edit In, select the plug-in and select Edit A Copy, LR creates a copy but it is a psd file instead of a tiff. I included a snapshot of the Edit In dialog which shows the file type of the copy as tiff.

LR 4.3, OSX 10.7.5

What am I doing wrong?

Jim

You said you set up the "alternate editor" prefs to create tiffs, is your primary external editor set to save as a tiff? I guess I'm assuming you mean after you edit your image in the plug in (PS) when you save back to LR it saves as a PSD instead of a TIFF? The only thing I can think of is you might have PSD selected in your Lightroom external editor preferences for the primary editor.

Stan

JimGoshorn

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:27 am »

Yes, I have it set to save as tiff when I use plug-ins. When the dialog comes up (screenshot), it shows that the file format is tiff but when the copy is created, it is a psd file (which I verified by looking on the HD). I haven't seen any reports like this so I figure I must have some setting wrong but I don't know what.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

Jim

Fernando García

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:36:07 am »

In the screen capture, the option "Edit a Copy" is selected. This creates an exact copy of the original file in the same format.
LR renders an exact copy. That's why the the "Copy file options" below are grayed out, because they do not operate with this option selected.
If the source file is a PSD it creates a PSD (which, not knowing your source file format, seems to be the case).

Choosing "Edit a copy with LR adjustments" and the "copy file options" will operate, showing the options you have chosen in your preferences.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:41:56 am »

If you edited the file previously and saved it with layers, or with the background layer's name changed, it may be forced to open as a PSD from the "edit a copy" dialogue.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:48:33 pm »

Thank you guys for clearing that up and yes, I had selected a psd as the original. I don't normally use that functionality and completely misunderstood it. Definitely, my bad :P

In embarrassment,

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up