Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub-forum newbie wondering if EXIF available for submitted images? n/t  (Read 599 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
Procedure that works with Win-7 to get EXIF
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:25:57 pm »

From a suggestion by a Mac user ...

On Win-7 with CS5, I was able to get EXIF with the following steps:
  • Right click on submitted image and "Save Target As"
  • Navigate CS5 Bridge to that folder and select image (LR probably also works)
  • Quite a bit of Metadata available ...
  • Basics like Creation date, f-stop, shutter speed, iso, focal length, camera model
  • Details like exposure compensation, Clarity slider, Sharpness radius, etc.

And an alternative using Windows Explorer instead of Bridge/LR
  • Navigate Windows Explorer to the folder
  • "Details" mode and select applicable columns
  • I found more than I expected ...
  • most of the specifics above, except for PS specifics like Clarity, Sharpness radius, etc.

For example, with "Fedex.jpg" from thread:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=75725.0

Each of the above indicate:
  • Using: Nikon D100 with 35mm equivalent of 129 focal length
  • Exposure: 1/1600 at f/5.3 as ISO 360

Differences:
  • Explorer indicates Creation date as when "Save Target as" was done: 2013
  • Bridge indicates Sep, 2004
  • Also from only Bridge: OP used Clarity slider of 25, with Flash off, much more

Even though the above work, I'd appreciate learning about a simpler procedure that others have found works with Win-7. Specifically, is there a way to get the EXIF while remaining in the browser?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:28:21 pm by l_d_allan »
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

nemo295

Camera Raw data, like the Clarity, Sharpness and Brightness, etc. settings, aren't EXIF. They're Adobe's proprietary embedded metadata relating to post processing, not EXIF. Only Adobe software can display it. EXIF information tells you about the camera and how it was set when the picture was taken and also the color space of the file (Adobe RGB, sRGB, etc.). It's the industry standard for embedded photographic metadata and many applications can display it.

In Windows 7, Windows Photo Viewer will show you the EXIF. On a Mac, Preview will. Both come standard with their respective operating systems.

It's a very small effort to right click on a photo in a browser and save it to your hard drive. On most Windows 7 computers, simply double clicking on a photo file will open it in Windows Photo Viewer by default. You can then see the EXIF, if it exists, by pulling down the File menu and selecting Properties.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:55:36 pm by Doug Frost »
Pages: [1]   Go Up