Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bizarre card problem  (Read 3552 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
bizarre card problem
« on: March 03, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »

I have a Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD card which I have used without issues in my D800E for some time. Today, I was doing some test shots, removed the card, placed it in the Delkin card reader and my Mac Pro tower would not see the card! The images are there, I can see them on the camera LCD; I tried a Lexar card reader, no luck, I tried a different USB port, I reformatted the card in the camera, restarted the computer, and went back and redid everything and still, the Mac Pro will not see the card. I tried to reformat the card in the Mac Pro using disk utility and the card came up as "generic storage card media" but it would not erase it because it said "couldn't open disk." The Sandisk 32GB Extreme CF card to which I wrote simultaneously works fine. I tried another SD card in the D800E and it had no problem
My Macbook Pro laptop has no problem with the Extreme Pro SD card, it works in the on computer slot as well as with either card reader.
So, to summarize, the Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD card is not seen by ONLY by my Mac Pro. And... it has worked fine for months.
I assume it's faulty in some way, and will attempt to replace it through the vendor from whom I purchased it but it still seems strange that it fails to be read in the Mac Pro ONLY whereas all my other cards work fine in the Mac Pro and everywhere else.
Thanks so much for any thoughts, especially if you've seen this before or if you have a solution.
Eric

Eric Brody

Re: bizarre card problem-tried it in Olympus OM-D
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:02:51 pm »

For what it's worth, I also took the offending SD card, formatted it in my Olympus OM-D, made some exposures, and the Mac Pro would not see the card.
Eric

jonathanlung

Re: bizarre card problem
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:42:47 pm »

I haven't seen anything like this before, so I have no idea if the following could even be responsible for this problem.

Maybe there's a faulty setting for the associated launch application for the SD card on your Mac Pro. One way of testing to see if this is the problem is to (create, if necessary, and) log in as another user on your Mac Pro and try inserting the card into the reader again. If that turns out to work around the problem, renaming/deleting the com.apple.Image_Capture.plist file in your normal home directory's Library/Preferences folder ought to do the trick.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:02:08 pm »

It may be your card reader. My MacPro tower can't read a transcend 32gig class 10 card connected with a card reader that is a few years old. It will however, read and upload images from the card when connected via the cameras USB port.
Gerald J Skrocki

Eric Brody

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:27:24 am »

Jerryrock appears to be correct. Thanks to all who thought about this. The Extreme Pro SD 32GB card, which worked when inserted directly in my Macbook Pro , also works with an old Lexar card reader I had put away in my archive of "old" stuff. I'll be taking the Delkin card reader, a new USB 3 device to my local emportium from which I purchased it and trying it there. If it continues to misbehave, I'll attempt to return it. Perhaps there's something about the Extreme Pro card that is a problem. If it's at all interesting, I'll let you know.

Eric Brody

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:37:24 pm »

I hate to keep dragging this pretty uninteresting thread out, but I took the card and reader in, plugged it into a new iMac and it saw the card! So... the reader seems to work in another computer. I'm keeping the card, keeping the reader, and just not using that reader in my Mac Pro.

JohnCox123

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:24 am »

I had a similar (if not the the same) problem. I have a class 10 SDXC card (64GB) that my old reader would have difficulty reading. The problem was the card reader was not compatible with SDXC cards. I've heard some computers have this issue inherent to them regardless of the reader. The cap on SDHC is 32 GB so it's likely you have an SDXC card. Try a new reader.

Stan A

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:20 am »

Maybe the USB port on your Mac is not working or some type of driver error. Have you tried another USB device in that port or tried the reader on a different port? Just seems odd that it used to work fine on your Mac pro and still works fine on other computers.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:03:07 am by Stan A »

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:35:07 am »

I have a Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD card which I have used without issues in my D800E for some time. Today, I was doing some test shots, removed the card, placed it in the Delkin card reader and my Mac Pro tower would not see the card! The images are there, I can see them on the camera LCD; I tried a Lexar card reader, no luck, I tried a different USB port, I reformatted the card in the camera, restarted the computer, and went back and redid everything and still, the Mac Pro will not see the card. I tried to reformat the card in the Mac Pro using disk utility and the card came up as "generic storage card media" but it would not erase it because it said "couldn't open disk." The Sandisk 32GB Extreme CF card to which I wrote simultaneously works fine. I tried another SD card in the D800E and it had no problem
My Macbook Pro laptop has no problem with the Extreme Pro SD card, it works in the on computer slot as well as with either card reader.
So, to summarize, the Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD card is not seen by ONLY by my Mac Pro. And... it has worked fine for months.
I assume it's faulty in some way, and will attempt to replace it through the vendor from whom I purchased it but it still seems strange that it fails to be read in the Mac Pro ONLY whereas all my other cards work fine in the Mac Pro and everywhere else.
Thanks so much for any thoughts, especially if you've seen this before or if you have a solution.
Eric

Hello Eric,

Can you launch Terminal and type in the following:

diskutil cs list

Can you screenshot the results?

Graham
Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:44:27 am »

Have you checked for firmware updates for your reader?  I have a USB3 reader and was a bit surprised to find there are downloadable firmware updates---and the reader does work better  after updating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up