Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bygone era  (Read 1584 times)

Rocco Penny

Bygone era
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:43:28 am »

Yes,
I remember the guy that probably wrote this-
he died face down in a puddle.  At 89 or something.
He was maybe around 40's to 50's in the hapless era where so many lost faith.  There's a seven showing on the dice below the "goodbye 69" Good on a first roll, fine if you play the 7, but just terrible if you have a point to make-  The faces in the symbols of man/woman, or here I think probably more woman/man
there's a smiley face on one and a sad face on the other-
I imagine some torrid love affair where "kitten" and slim when not bouncing through town in a marginal at best and highly illegal 1940's flatbed, getting grain, officer whomever finally laid that old sheepfarm to rest.
Tough sob
don't make men like him too much
well,
here's a message from the sheepfarm-
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:15:46 am by Rocco Penny »

WalterEG

Re: Bygone era
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:13:42 pm »

Thank you for sharing this poignant epitaph.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:19:43 pm »

I remember driving past the sheepfarm when I was a kid and wondering what the woman I knew lived there was like when she was young
If maybe a cad claimed then discarded her, beaten, outwitted, alone.
She then had to return to her brothers' (as in 2) as a fallen woman,
the elopement was an unmitigated failure and the SPINSTER began the task of raising a whole generation of neophyte hippy barbie natural country women
to thinking that spinning wool or drinking goat's milk was the greatest thing for the new movement then just forming.
Man you ever try goats milk in your coffee?
Just sayin...
I think this was the reckless brother's work...

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:05:52 am »

I remember driving past the sheepfarm when I was a kid and wondering what the woman I knew lived there was like when she was young
If maybe a cad claimed then discarded her, beaten, outwitted, alone.
She then had to return to her brothers' (as in 2) as a fallen woman,
the elopement was an unmitigated failure and the SPINSTER began the task of raising a whole generation of neophyte hippy barbie natural country women
to thinking that spinning wool or drinking goat's milk was the greatest thing for the new movement then just forming.
Man you ever try goats milk in your coffee?
Just sayin...
I think this was the reckless brother's work...

Rocco, thinking like that when driving can get you killed.

I realised yesterday, for the umpteenth time, that I should really stop playing music in the car - letting the CDs play, I mean.

The problem is that the Fiesta has a dumb ergo setup: your hands, in classical ten-past-ten position, obscure the flashing arrows at the extremes of the left and right of the tiny dash space, and the clicking sound is so low that I can hardly hear it. Yesterday, it took me about a kilometre to realise that the car flashing me as it approached along the long Roman road between Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa wasn't giving me an early warning signal of a speed control. That could be quite disastrous, especially at roundabouts. The problem, of course, is that the damned indicators seldom cancel themelves out. I went back to the dealer just after I bought the car, and he told me they were all the same, even his new Focus...

There was an item on Sky news this morning about a woman who had left a realtionship where she was being beaten up. On the face of it, she sounded relatively well-spoken and intelligent. And then she claimed not to have realised that she was in a violent, abusive realationship. What sort of sense of normality do some people have? Why would you hit someone you love? Why would you stay after strike one? Abandon the moron at once!

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:23:16 am by Rob C »

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:31:12 am »

...There was an item on Sky news this morning about a woman who had left a realtionship where she was being beaten up. On the face of it, she sounded relatively well-spoken and intelligent. And then she claimed not to have realised that she was in a violent, abusive realationship. What sort of sense of normality do some people have? Why would you hit someone you love? Why would you stay after strike one? Abandon the moron at once!

That is sad, and sadly true.
I have lived on three continents, and have witnessed this in both first and third world environments.
It does appear that some men, and women, accept this sort of violence as normal.
I cannot understand it myself.

Tony Jay

Rocco Penny

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:15:21 am »

Yeah,
In Californy we have what you'd call equality-
I personally know a redneck whose HOT wife regularly tries to get him in a physical altercation.
Now he knows not to drink whiskey alone with her.
Dang ol married people have it hard.
If'n it's just your ol lady you can tell her to hit the bricks ya know?
The man who likely penned this graffiti wasn't above carving his initials in the timbers of the outbuildings either.
I'd imagine in the 1930's-40's when he was still a boy and this was late in 69
His sister was the matriarch in a family of patriarchs
They lived to the very end as they had always lived.
Amazing story really.
Talk about inspiration for putting in hours,
I like piecing the history of  the homeplace together-errors and omissions notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:33:08 am by Rocco Penny »

Rocco Penny

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:53:29 am »

The first attachments I have added that got 20+ views...
So I've been playing with forcing the State to protect this site as a cultural heritage venue.
Maybe support photographers and day use with severe restrictions.  Possibly appointments for use.  Big speech about California history, archaeological looting etc.
People tend to pick up anything they can.
I have had to shoo people off of the creek garbage dump-
old bottles are what people generally pick around for.
But- people stole the doorknobs off of the interior doors of an unlocked outbuilding,  and there has to be some heavy monitoring of photographers and others that may have this opportunity-
Haven't decided how it could work ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up