Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop Printing Error Message  (Read 1129 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Photoshop Printing Error Message
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:16:31 am »

I am running into situations where the following error message appears when I try to print out of Photoshop CS4:

Before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer.

This seems to be document related as I can have multiple documents open and some will print fine on both of my printers while the one that generates this error will not print at all. I tried saving one of problematic documents, which was a .tiff, to both .psd and .jpg and it still got the error when I tried to print it.

I also tried printing the same document out of Lightroom, while it was open in Photoshop, and Lightroom printed it without any difficulty.

I looked around on the web and found plenty of posts related to this, but most of the advise ran along the lines of reinstalling print drivers or Photoshop, but knowing that most of the time I do not get this error - it is only with certain documents - I can't see how any of these suggestions would help.

Can any one advise on this?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Garnick

Re: Photoshop Printing Error Message
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:40:20 am »

Hi Remo,

Perhaps trashing the PS Pref file would help.  It might be corrupted in some way, but quite honestly I don't understand why this wouldn't affect every file you try to print.  However, in case you are unaware, the procedure is as follows.  I use Mac, but I'll do this for both Mac an PC.  Hold down the Option/Alt + Command/Windows + Shift keys while starting PS.  When prompted, select YES to delete the prefs.  Once PS has booted up you will have to reset the prefs to your liking as usual.  It would probably be a good idea to check them before you do this and record any major settings you have now.  Could also do screen shots of the different pref windows.  I don't know if this will have any positive effect on your issue, but it certainly can't hurt.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »

pc or mac? what OS?

try deleting and reinstalling the printer.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:16 pm »

Win 7 64-bit
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:04:15 pm »

This is not a solution, only a trick to make it work.

It happened to me once in the middle of a workshop, what I did was the following:

Flatten the image or stamp all visible layers.
Select and copy the flattened image.
Create a new document and paste it.
Print the new pasted image.

As it didn´t happen on my computer I don´t know the cause or the actual solution to this problem

Best regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up