Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy way to keep gradients level?  (Read 1761 times)

dreed

Easy way to keep gradients level?
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:52:35 am »

When adding a gradient "mask" in LR, I find it quite difficult to keep it level. Consider that I typically want to use it against a horizontal sky.
Is there a keyboard modifier or shortcut that I'm missing that can either prevent the gradient from changing angle or snapping it to a horizontal line?

An extension of this is that sometimes it is desirable to create a gradient on an angle but once that angle has been settled on, all that I want to do is move the position of the three sliders. In this case being able to level it isn't desirable but being able to lock the angle and prevent it from being turned would be.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Easy way to keep gradients level?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:28:44 am »

Shift drag should work...to keep angles correct.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:20:09 am »

The oblong key with the upward arrow should be pressed whist dragging. It is important to let go of the key before completing the drag or the horizontal will become skewed.

dreed

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:25:42 am »

Shift drag should work...to keep angles correct.

I thought I had tried that. How embarrassment!

I notice that once a gradient filter is created using the shift key, it doesn't seem possible to then change the angle which is good but I can't see anything to turn that on/off or that it is active?

stamper

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:55:46 am »

It doesn't have an on/off toggle like other adjustments. You have to close the panel and start again. These adjustments are done more flexibly in PS?

dreed

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:05:11 am »

It doesn't have an on/off toggle like other adjustments. You have to close the panel and start again. These adjustments are done more flexibly in PS?

I prefer to do as much as possible in LR without needing to render from raw to something else...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:17:54 am »

If you want to move an angled gradient and keep the angle, grab the little radio button and move. If you want to change the angle, even if originally done with shift-drag, grab the gradient further away from the center.
Pages: [1]   Go Up