Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about HSL Sliders  (Read 2643 times)

ahbnyc

Question about HSL Sliders
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:22 pm »

This may be a very basic question, but over what range do the adjustments made with the HSL sliders apply?  I assume that each of the 8 colors represents a 45 degree slice of the 360 degree color wheel.  If you make an adjustment (such as an increase in saturation) to the red color slice, does it apply evenly over the entire 45 degree range?  If so, is there a sudden drop-off at the border between red and orange if no similar adjustment is made to the orange color?  Does it work differently if you use the targeted adjustment tool and select a color on the photo that might not be in the middle of a 45 degree color range?  Maybe there is something obvious that I am missing here but any responses would be appreciated.

vfilepp

Re: Question about HSL Sliders
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »

I'm sure someone can speak more knowledgeably about the affect of individual slider color range, but in the meantime I can tell you that the color picker will affect all of the colors contained at the sample spot you pick. Let's say the spot you pick contains blue and aqua. As you drag the tool up or down all of the colors will be changed in proportion to their presence in the sample.

Glenn NK

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:31:42 pm »

Good questions, but I have no answers except that the reply by "vfilepp" is correct AFAIK - just checked.

Perhaps Jeff Schewe will respond.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:39:03 pm »

If you make an adjustment (such as an increase in saturation) to the red color slice, does it apply evenly over the entire 45 degree range?  If so, is there a sudden drop-off at the border between red and orange if no similar adjustment is made to the orange color?  Does it work differently if you use the targeted adjustment tool and select a color on the photo that might not be in the middle of a 45 degree color range?

I'm pretty sure the HSL (which is actually following the HSB model, not HSL even if that's what it says in the UI) adjusts the colors in a way to have prominence at the peak of a color hue and tapers off towards the adjoining colors. In the case of the TAT, the sample of the color where the cursor is over will adjust 1 or two adjoining colors (I've never seen 3 colors move) in the same basic manner of prominence at the peak hue. If 2 colors are being adjusted I'm pretty sure everything between toe 2 color hues moves and the hue tapers off on the outside.

But this is really an Eric Chan question...

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 05:28:15 pm »

This may be a very basic question, but over what range do the adjustments made with the HSL sliders apply?  I assume that each of the 8 colors represents a 45 degree slice of the 360 degree color wheel.  If you make an adjustment (such as an increase in saturation) to the red color slice, does it apply evenly over the entire 45 degree range?  If so, is there a sudden drop-off at the border between red and orange if no similar adjustment is made to the orange color?  Does it work differently if you use the targeted adjustment tool and select a color on the photo that might not be in the middle of a 45 degree color range?  Maybe there is something obvious that I am missing here but any responses would be appreciated.

generate a tiff file w/ necessary colors in PS (or whatever editor), open that .tiff in ACR/LR and test.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:23:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure the HSL (which is actually following the HSB model, not HSL even if that's what it says in the UI) adjusts the colors in a way to have prominence at the peak of a color hue and tapers off towards the adjoining colors. In the case of the TAT, the sample of the color where the cursor is over will adjust 1 or two adjoining colors (I've never seen 3 colors move) in the same basic manner of prominence at the peak hue. If 2 colors are being adjusted I'm pretty sure everything between toe 2 color hues moves and the hue tapers off on the outside.

What Jeff said (and yes, it's 2 adjoining, not 3).
Eric Chan

ahbnyc

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:48 pm »

Thank you very much for all the responses -- they are helpful and intuitively make sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up