Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manual Lens Focus Direction  (Read 4643 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Manual Lens Focus Direction
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:23:45 am »

I have a number of manual lenses. Some focus in one direction and some focus in the other. It would be really nice if they all focused the same way as it would simplify improving my manual focus skills. If I wanted to try and purchase lenses that all matched in their 'direction-ness'...

- What is the correct terminology for which way they focus: clockwise/counter-clockwise or left-hand/right-hand, or something else?

- Is there any consistency between brands, i.e. Nikons focus left-handed, Canons focus right-handed?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: Manual Lens Focus Direction
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:19:57 am »

It is basically Nikon VS 'Everything Else'

Most lenses focus the Canon way

Over the years some lenses have been made by third parties to focus the Nikon way but not that many

This brings up a 'problem' in that nikon make some of the most versatile and best value used manual glass

Some follow focuses (for filming) have a reverse gear to allow you to sort this out

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:55:30 am »

My Nikon vs. Canon example was just a shot in the dark, but it seems that is the big distinction. I found this post, http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-247621.html on another forum that seems to explain it well.

Nikon and Pentax focus infinity<--->close and nearly every one else the other way. I guess as far as giving them a name, the proper terms are; The Nikon Way and The Other Way.  :o
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:03 am »

Pentax focus the nikon way!

You sure? That opens some interesting options to me

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:22 am »

Olympus lets you set the direction on one of the menu options. It would be hard to do that with manual focus lenses, of course.
--
Robert

Petrus

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:28:16 am »

Focus and aperture rings turning the opposite ways was a big problem in the manual days for us who changed systems form Canon to Nikon or vv. Relearning to focus without thinking took about 3 months. Now it does not matter much anymore with great AF, and the camera body control dials can be customized as wished.

Stan A

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 04:05:57 am »

I didn't know there was any other way than the Nikon way  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up