Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy Karoo Sky  (Read 745 times)

Heinz

Crazy Karoo Sky
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:47:30 am »

I just loved these clouds, what are your thoughts on this image?

Tony Jay

Re: Crazy Karoo Sky
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »

I am very familiar with the Karoo (brings back some memories).
Your choice of tonal manipulation and choice of perspective do however make the image slightly sinister to my eye.
A fine result though.

Tony Jay

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »

I love the way the clouds seem to follow the road. The weeds on the right side f/g and the distant clouds, seem a little too crunchy for my taste. Maybe I am seeing a jpeg artifact, I couldn't tell.

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »

My first response was "quite nice ... very dramatic".

Here's my 2¢ to consider:
  • Was this a sunrise or sunset image with "on fire" color in the clouds? If so, perhaps you might have left as color rather than b/w?
  • I'm not that much of a "rule of thirds" purist, but you might try cropping the less interesting (to me) right side, so the highway center strip and telephone poles are not so "dead center" in the frame.
  • If you had time when taking the picture, it might have worked better to have moved to the right so the road might appear to lead into the distant mountains. Now, the road is dramatically leading the eye to ... nothing.
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 01:08:56 pm »

seem a little too crunchy for my taste. Maybe I am seeing a jpeg artifact, I couldn't tell.

I had a similar first reaction, but then I noticed that the image was 800x550 px ... I've did a quick search for a guideline of how many pixes are appropriate on this sub-forum, but didn't find such guidelines.

So this sub-forum newbie's question to the OP:
Considering that many submissions to this sub-forum are in the 1000 to 1500 px range (some up to 4000), was it your intention on submitting the image as 800 px?
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

francois

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:57 am »

The weeds on the right side f/g and the distant clouds, seem a little too crunchy for my taste. Maybe I am seeing a jpeg artifact, I couldn't tell.

I see it too but with the small size of the photo and the compression, it's hard to have a definitive opinion.

Other than that, it's a lovely image.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up