Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: rock, woman and a tree  (Read 2694 times)

NickMarkou

rock, woman and a tree
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:40:09 am »

Shot on a hill, nearly 4pm, vertical panorama stitched in photoshop.
Would like to ask composition wise if i should crop for 2/3. I intetionally left them in the middle
but Im not so sure now if the sky, as a negative space is too much since there were barely any clouds
Polarizer for the sky, some post too.

Thank you all in advance for your time
Nick

sdwilsonsct

Re: rock, woman and a tree
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:45:48 am »

Very nice. I wouldn't crop it -- I like the foreground and balance.

My taste doesn't run to such dark skies on clear days, but in this case it seems to help the balance of the composition.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:24:35 am »

If you hadn't titled it as such, I am not sure I would have found the woman. It is not so much the lack of clarity on the figure as to me, the size of the figure and in that, for me had she been sitting in the fore part of the rock, her head would have broken the horizon. As she sits now, she almost becomes just another shadow in a nice landscape. Great colors and focus, but this one remains lost for me.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:29:12 am »

I had a heck of a time finding the woman too. I'm not sure if:

- it's just because the attached image is so small
- it's such a bad thing that she's hard to find

I'd leave her out of the title, though. My sense is that in a larger image she'd still be very muted, but we might find her after a few moments, and then we'd see the image anew, somehow. I feel like that might be, at least, cool, and maybe powerful in some way.

NickMarkou

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:13 am »

Yes that's true, the point of view makes the figure hard to spot especially on this resolution. It bugged me during the shot aswell but I chose to hide her instead of lowering the angle and have her in the sky, I should have taken another shot to choose from.
Thanks for your replies

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:45:54 am »

The only reason I suggested her head break into the sky is because her skin tone is so close to the rocks, she just gets lost. Perhaps you could open up the blacks on her robe a bit but taking care not to do much to her satchel.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

NickMarkou

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:44 am »

I post a larger image for convenience

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:15:29 am »

Much easier to see her in this larger view.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:32 am »

I think the first shot is very appealing. If anything, I'd clone the figure away and just have a good landscape of what seems to be a historical site.

Nice crop - if it was a crop! Works well with the land as you have it here.

Rob C

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:14:26 pm »

I think the first shot is very appealing. If anything, I'd clone the figure away and just have a good landscape of what seems to be a historical site.

Nice crop - if it was a crop! Works well with the land as you have it here.

Rob C

See Rob, that wasn't so difficult now...was it? ;)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »

Much easier to see her in this larger view.

True: and much easier to see that her presence adds nothing to the shot, save perhaps for augmenting the sentiment of the photographer. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Jeremy

amolitor

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 02:45:00 pm »

I think she balances the center of the frame rather well. Tree, fragment of cloud, person. The rock COULD arguably do the same job, but I think it is too big and would throw that central triangular figure out of balance.

NickMarkou

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »

Well I got a taboo with removing objects from shots I shoot for me only hehe. If that woman wasn't on the shot I wouldn't have taken it. I liked the 1woman -1 tree- 1 rock that stands out and the 1 cloud on the sky relation -despite the quality of the composition- though the cloud is really transparent and barely visible.

side note* I got absolutely nothing against removing items from shots altering it in any way if they work visually but only on my professional shooting.

Thanks again for your comments :)

NickMarkou

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:46 pm »

It's wasn't a crop, it was vertical panorama 2 images stitched, I got no tamboo in cropping though ;)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 12:45:56 pm »

I liked the 1woman -1 tree- 1 rock that stands out and the 1 cloud on the sky relation -despite the quality of the composition
Zen. A singularity series ;) I like it.

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »

vertical panorama

I'm curious what camera+lens you used for this. In my pano experience, it's rare to make vertical panos ... unless you have a prime lens, or need very high resolution, like for architecture, or a main element of the image is Very Tall (like Devil's Postpile, for example).

Also, I agree with other replies regarding woman not being that apparent ...
If possible (without stepping off a cliff), change your point where you took the pictures so she is more obvious. Perhaps lower? Also, to me, it doesn't seem like she is actually looking at the tree, so I'm wondering ... "What in the heck is she looking at?" But it is hard to tell with the size of the image.
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

NickMarkou

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 03:17:23 pm »

Allan, I had my d700 with me and an old nikkor 35mm, shot handheld, having my daughter on the other hand :).
The 1st shot was from the bottom to the upper part of the tree and from the second I used only the sky, so no problem with distortion there. You are right it's tricky to do vertical panoramas but this specific subject was really simple.

About the figure now, I'm not sure myself too, that's why I posted this image. My thought was that I didn't wanted her to stand out much. For me and as I read- for all who saw the pic, she is not the main subject.

I just liked the relation of 4 single elements pretty much equal in strength in the frame, though that was not achieved. The bright rock stands too strong and the cloud is very transparent.
By the way, I don't think she was looking at anything specific, she was just taking a rest.

Thank you all for your comments,
Nick

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 03:55:50 pm »

it's tricky to do vertical panoramas but this specific subject was really simple.

Your reply clears up a lot. In a mid-post, you mentioned you are a pro, so I wondered ... "surely he has a wider angle lens with him?" Thanks.

I sometimes will make a simple pano just to reduce sensor dust from changing lenses too much, or not having a wider lens with me.
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 04:19:05 pm »

In this picture I see ancient ruins, a woman sitting on a ruin and a tree, in the picture the rock isn't that important to me. But I am an Italian...

NickMarkou

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

On the other hand, I'm fed up of ruins :) hehehe
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up