Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572952 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #2400 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:18 am »

Can't work it out, actually. There you go, ambiguity creeping in everywhere...
This one has focused ambiguity.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2401 on: February 20, 2017, 04:35:31 pm »

As HC-B claimed for geometry, I claim it (on your behaf) for algebra: it's a quadratic equation, with the left ones who have but don't need them balanced by the one on the right who does, but hasn't got one.

Isn't mathematics wonderful? I was never any good at it, but my wife was. Another perfectly balanced equation.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #2402 on: February 20, 2017, 05:15:42 pm »

Clever!

Made me LOL (in coffee shop) once I realized…

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #2403 on: February 21, 2017, 09:50:07 am »

Made me LOL (in coffee shop) once I realized…

-Dave-

Dave, it's a cool trick: if you laugh loudly and madly enough, sitting all by yourself, they gently usher you out and there's no need to pay! Works best in a large city with a wide range of coffee shops. Use a written down, planned order of attack.

Rob

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2404 on: February 21, 2017, 06:50:46 pm »

Going through some old shots

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2405 on: February 22, 2017, 04:21:26 am »

Dave, it's a cool trick: if you laugh loudly and madly enough, sitting all by yourself, they gently usher you out and there's no need to pay! Works best in a large city with a wide range of coffee shops. Use a written down, planned order of attack.

Loudly critiquing the photos displayed for sale in a gallery-café doesn't work so well: or I was brusquely advised that one doesn't criticise art in a gallery :)
(The cake was better than the photos, anyway).

Rob C

« Reply #2406 on: February 22, 2017, 02:28:30 pm »

Loudly critiquing the photos displayed for sale in a gallery-café doesn't work so well: or I was brusquely advised that one doesn't criticise art in a gallery :)
(The cake was better than the photos, anyway).

So, you actually got to have your cake, and eat it too!

Congratulations!

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2407 on: February 23, 2017, 05:13:36 am »

So, you actually got to have your cake, and eat it too!

It's actually poorly phrased in English, isn't it? The French version is clearer: "Le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le sourire de la crémière" : "The butter, the money for the butter, and the smile of the woman selling the butter."

There are other, lewder versions based on replacing "smile"... :-)

Rob C

« Reply #2408 on: February 25, 2017, 03:46:59 pm »

I've been having problems with the hi-fi system - started off as all B&O in the 70s - but as time and humidity took their toll, it changed bits here and there, the only original parts today being the two speakers. I recently had to add a CD player because the old one had apparently blown parts within; the dealer looked at it and quoted a repair price higher than I was having to pay for a simple replacement, so I replaced. However, I realised that I was getting no sound from the right speaker, so I had to unload tons of heavy stuff (books and discs) and drag the damned unit out and investigate the bloody wires festooning the back. Easier said than done, trust me.

Anyway, I tested everything I was likely to use, and it eventually worked. Today I decided to try the turntable, and hit a new problem: the bar that moves the arm upwards and downwards from the records lifts at the end of play, but won't retract to allow the head to touch the surface of the disc when I want to start the music again, so feeling a bit pissed at it, I forced the bar downwards. It popped into the base of the deck, and now I can play records too. They do end at the right place, the arm lifts and returns to the holder post and switches off, but the next time, I have manually to press the bar down again to engage needle with disc.

However, I did play some discs I haven't heard in years. Quite an emotional experience, really. Anyway, Abbey Road sounded out of this world, and now I understand why the Beatles may be better than the Stones... love ya, Keef, but!

Guess I proved to myself again that music generally beats the hell out of photographs for emotional punch.

At least it broke my barren period, and I made a snap of something other than a heap of garden refuse.

Rob C

BobDavid

« Reply #2409 on: February 25, 2017, 08:04:56 pm »

This is the first time I've worked in black and white in a long long time. It's an entirely different aesthetic. These mini-sheds reminded me of my home state, Nebraska. They're sitting in the lot at a pool and patio store in Sarasota, FL.

In my opinion, the image is not as pleasing as it would have been if I'd shot it with film. Or, maybe I need to learn a different workflow for black and white digital conversions.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:11:30 pm by BobDavid »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2410 on: February 26, 2017, 04:37:36 am »

Guess I proved to myself again that music generally beats the hell out of photographs for emotional punch.

And even though I'm a hard-line engineer-type when it comes to CD's vs vinyl, there's no doubt that playing a 33-tours visually beats the hell out of a CD, or worse, streaming from a HDD.

I'm actually doing a series of portraits of women reading at the moment: this one is not part of it, but maybe having the theme helped me see this.
(Everyone always asked me what I'm working on, what is my project, and they never seemed happy with "making pictures". So I had to make something up).

Rob C

« Reply #2411 on: February 26, 2017, 11:30:53 am »

And even though I'm a hard-line engineer-type when it comes to CD's vs vinyl, there's no doubt that playing a 33-tours visually beats the hell out of a CD, or worse, streaming from a HDD.

I'm actually doing a series of portraits of women reading at the moment: this one is not part of it, but maybe having the theme helped me see this.
(Everyone always asked me what I'm working on, what is my project, and they never seemed happy with "making pictures". So I had to make something up).

I'm happy that you did, and a very good initial image for the series!

The problem with 33 is that it's over so quickly - fifteen, twenty minutes or so and hell, back to the machine!

And to think that it used to be part of a removal policy/technique often allied with alcohol. It's clear that the changer stack was invented for that very purpose: allowed a decent time for the removal of unwanted materials and the muttering of the required number of little no!s that led to everyone feeling content and having kept face. Maybe eight-track was better, in the long term.

Good olde days.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2412 on: February 27, 2017, 02:49:54 am »

Nadège...

Rob C

« Reply #2413 on: February 27, 2017, 03:20:44 am »

Great bones! Love the jaw/light.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2414 on: February 27, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »

Nadège from another angle...

Rob C

« Reply #2415 on: February 27, 2017, 02:14:09 pm »

You might have waited until she'd finished her scratch, you villain you!

Or is she just holding her book (out of shot)?

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2416 on: February 27, 2017, 02:48:37 pm »

Ah, ambiguity :)

Rob C

« Reply #2417 on: February 27, 2017, 05:26:37 pm »

Ah, ambiguity :)

Of course, what else?

;-)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #2418 on: February 27, 2017, 08:51:05 pm »

I'm going to have an Ambiguity Button installed on my point-and-shoot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2419 on: February 27, 2017, 09:38:28 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 137   Go Up