Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572165 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1060 on: October 03, 2015, 01:57:28 pm »

Finding myself in a rare, gentle mood:

;-)

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1061 on: October 03, 2015, 03:06:08 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #1062 on: October 03, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »

A sweet lament...
Peter

Yeah, Peter, I looked at it in b/w for a moment, and felt it lost pretty much everything when that delicate colouring was missing. It was the understatement of colour and sadness of its reality that caught me at once. Like a beautifully aged movie star.  I often wonder how great beauties, who can't hang on to their beauty in a different way later on, react to the mirror. I've seen some truly wonderous ladies in their 80s... it's the delicacy, the indestructible line of good bones, all with the knowing look in the eyes.

A year or two ago I had the surprise of my life when I was shooting my local muso friends in a bar; this very attractive woman walked past me up at the front of the band and smiled straight at me on her way to the Ladies room. I smiled back, surprised and flattered that an old guy like me could still raise interest. She smiled again on her way back to wherever she'd been sitting. The next week I was back shooting when somebody tapped me on the shoulder. I looked around and it was the same woman. Before I could say anthing to cover my surprise she said my name. Then she introduced herself. One of my original Scottish models out for the winter! After feeling an ass for not knowing who she was, shattered that it hadn't been my ahem, sex appeal after all, I realised that she was in her early 60s and still looked great: cheek bones, jaw line. Never let you down if you have 'em.

I don't know if the petals had any, though, but they do boast a twig...

Rob C

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1063 on: October 03, 2015, 10:11:54 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #1064 on: October 04, 2015, 04:21:51 am »

Reflecting on the extremes of living. Perhaps the last word (above) is lost on non-British speakers.

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:23:47 am by Rob C »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1065 on: October 04, 2015, 04:49:55 am »

English Lake District

Rob C

« Reply #1066 on: October 05, 2015, 03:48:12 pm »

As time rolls on, I find myself preferring winter to summer, from a snaps point of view, at least.

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:50:33 pm by Rob C »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1067 on: October 05, 2015, 04:48:56 pm »

Love it, whatever the time of year

Rob C

« Reply #1068 on: October 06, 2015, 04:26:09 am »

Thank you, Bill, I got into appreciating this sort of thing many years ago through, again, American photography magazines. At the time, the UK ones such as Amateur Photographer were obsessed with snaps of fishermen complete with the obligatory pipe (for smoking) and heavy-ribbed, clean sweater; sometimes, you actually saw a little piece of net... Things picked up when I discovered Photography, a very different publication edited by Norman Hall. Within, I found the whole Parisian ethos with its incoming eastern-European migrants from persecution, the work of the new wave Italians and so on. Eye-opening stuff! It was that same magazine that saw my first published picture - a Polish model's portrait which shared space alongside Peter Sellers' pix of Britt Ekland... heady stuff for one callow youth!

There's such a tease with this kind of material - I suppose with 'street', in the sense of people-pix, too, in that it can't happen outwith the right place. For example: there have been several well-published images of ladies (very elegantly dressed) trying to cross puddles/gutters, their high heels and nylons marking such beautiful, delicate counterpoint to the black, wet and filthy drain water. I love those moments of contrast; makes one feel so lucky to be human and have women to brighten the days. In the sticks, nobody dresses up; mostly, as with France, you see deserted villages. I can't count the number of French villages we drove through, looking for a café in which to buy a coffee - everything looked closed, but the streets are beautiful with well-maintained flowerpots! Makes a whole new dimension to The Deserted Village.

Frankly, it's one of the reasons I'd like to move from the tranquility and return to a big city. Too much tranquility and you fall asleep - one good reason for being with Lula!

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:33:43 am by Rob C »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1069 on: October 06, 2015, 04:50:09 am »

Maybe I get a bit of both worlds - living in rural Somerset, yet working in a capital city (even if Cardiff isn't that big). I do get the occasional urge to get off the train in Bristol & wander around taking urban landscapes. Maybe next summer, on the way home ...

Rob C

« Reply #1070 on: October 06, 2015, 06:19:13 am »

Maybe I get a bit of both worlds - living in rural Somerset, yet working in a capital city (even if Cardiff isn't that big). I do get the occasional urge to get off the train in Bristol & wander around taking urban landscapes. Maybe next summer, on the way home ...

Now, if you were to try it on the way to work one day, could change your life!

;-)

Rob

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1071 on: October 06, 2015, 06:48:41 am »

Yeah, I could end up unemployed & on the streets full time

Rob C

« Reply #1072 on: October 06, 2015, 10:01:14 am »

Yeah, I could end up unemployed & on the streets full time

That could easily be par for the photographic course!

Rob

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #1073 on: October 06, 2015, 03:40:44 pm »

From Rob I'm learning not only photography, but english language too. Alas! I'm a very bad learner in both subjects.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #1074 on: October 06, 2015, 03:58:51 pm »

From Rob I'm learning not only photography, but english language too. Alas! I'm a very bad learner in both subjects.
I wish I could learn languages as poorly as you do. ;)
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Rob C

« Reply #1075 on: October 06, 2015, 05:08:53 pm »

But you have a wonderful sense of humour!

Thanks, anyway  ;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1076 on: October 07, 2015, 09:40:31 am »

For Peter, with fond Cat thoughts!

Rob C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgetd17XTOY

Rob C

« Reply #1077 on: October 07, 2015, 09:56:52 am »

Thank you, Keith.

That was indeed an occassion for bringing out the Gitzo with three legs. I have adapted a shopping basket (on wheels) to carry it... but still tend not to go there. Thing is, without low sun neither lens nor basket do much for me, and as I have no clothes people to pay for anything any more... Clothes people? No people!

;-)

Rob
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:12:23 pm by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1078 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:21 am »

For Peter, with fond Cat thoughts!

Rob C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgetd17XTOY
I know of Sea Dogs...Sea CATS is an all new concept! And a great moment, indeed.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1079 on: October 07, 2015, 12:22:35 pm »

I know of Sea Dogs...Sea CATS is an all new concept! And a great moment, indeed.

Peter

Before I came to live out here I used to have a dream where I would have this little old folding director's picnic chair, be wearing my Walkman, the Beachboys in my head, and sit out at the end of some harbour I had yet to see, and watch through a long lens as life sailed peacefully past.

Stood at the end of many harbours after that little fantasy, but without chair, defunct Walkman or anything else but the photographic bits...

Something's always missing in the real world.

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 137   Go Up