Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 571891 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #480 on: December 09, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »

;D
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #481 on: December 10, 2013, 03:39:48 pm »

Getting bleary-eyed led me to thinking about how the bottle might see it.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:47:24 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #482 on: December 14, 2013, 07:15:18 am »

An urban anomaly ......

Rob C

« Reply #483 on: December 14, 2013, 10:54:39 am »

An urban anomaly ......

You couldn't make it up.

Well, unless you are Italian, of course, when you do it all the time.

Loved the movies. And to think: when I spent a year there (Italy) as a kid, seeing every change of programme at the local fleapit, all the westerns (I seem to remember nothing but westerns) were dubbed into Italian. Quite extraordinary, really. Today, it might be described as surreal.

Which is where we came in. And why you need a Leica in your life. Perhaps I should patent that: like Ford used to proclaim back then:There's a Ford in your Future! And they were damned right: I've had lots. Of Fords.

Rob C

Manoli

« Reply #484 on: December 14, 2013, 11:43:55 am »

You couldn't make it up.
Well, unless you are Italian, of course, when you do it all the time.

??

Rob C

« Reply #485 on: December 14, 2013, 01:58:32 pm »

??

Federico Fellini, Michelangelo Antonioni, Sergio Leone, etc.etc... Magical image makers and mind manipulators. Quite turned my head, they did.

I love 'em all.

Rob C

Manoli

« Reply #486 on: December 14, 2013, 02:07:40 pm »

Federico Fellini, Michelangelo Antonioni, Sergio Leone, etc.etc...

(Wasn't sure if the previous post was humorous or in earnest ..)

M

Rob C

« Reply #487 on: December 14, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »

(Wasn't sure if the previous post was humorous or in earnest ..)

M

But I am in earnest; Italians have that something else. Look at the great cars from so many different drawing boards - the US had Harley Earl. He was wonderful, and created a total perception of the States, but he was the only one outside Italy that comes to my mind. Oh - the UK designed the E-Type. I think. Italian fashion and its photographers, its magazines and calendars, it's cities...

Nothing to be modest about, a lot to be proud of in every way.

;-)

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #488 on: December 14, 2013, 02:28:14 pm »

Glad you saw the Felliniesque in this happenstance scene, Rob,

It speaks to me in similar tone to the beach procession in Juliet of the Spirits.

And, as you might guess, no need for a Leica when a Linhof can please me better.

Cheers,
W

Manoli

« Reply #489 on: December 14, 2013, 02:39:48 pm »

And (many some of them) a sense of humour !
M

ps
I almost forgot; apart from Harley Earl, you can add the Greek that designed the Mini, Sir Alec Issigonis.

But I am in earnest; Italians have that something else. Look at the great cars from so many different drawing boards - the US had Harley Earl. He was wonderful, and created a total perception of the States, but he was the only one outside Italy that comes to my mind. Oh - the UK designed the E-Type. I think. Italian fashion and its photographers, its magazines and calendars, it's cities...

Nothing to be modest about, a lot to be proud of in every way.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #490 on: December 14, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »

And (many some of them) a sense of humour !
M

ps
I almost forgot; apart from Harley Earl, you can add the Greek that designed the Mini, Sir Alec Issigonis.

Now I'm disappointed!

I was never an original Mini fan, and have indeed been in a couple of the first ones. They were a disgrace, and the lack of creature comfort made my Ford Popular seem like a Lincoln! But hey, that was during a period when new cars were still very expensive and hard to get in Britain. The Pop cost around £500 in '59 and the Mini about the same for a lot less: you didn't even get a proper trunk! The new, Germanic ones I do like, but you still don't get much space in the luggage bay.  Neither, of course, does the Fiesta offer much, but then I wouldn't have bought it if that mattered today; today I shop little and carry even less on each trip.

The Mini was never a Topolino. Nor a Fiat 850 Coupé! I think the Italian car that I fancied the most (disregard the fantasy vehicles) was the little Giulietta Sprint:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=alfa+romeo+giulietta+sprint+&FORM=AWIR

Oh well, the Fiesta's a 1.6 diesel two-door... slow from a standing start, but phenomenal acceleration when already doing about 65kph. You find yourself speeding in moments. If you want to, of course.

A small, cheap British sports car that I fancied but never had, was the original bug-eyed Sprite. I also liked the MGB GT before they ruined it with those US-regulation rubber bumpers that made it look like it belonged in a fun-fair. The Rootes Sunbeam Alpine two-seater was a little classic (there was one in Dr No), and would still have looked contemporary today. There was a US version with a V8 crammed in (I think a V8), and a pink one was part of the reward/prize for the Playboy Bunny of the Year, one year.

Funny what you remember and sometimes surprising what you forget. I always forget birthdays and suchlike.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:07:39 pm by Rob C »

Manoli

« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2013, 04:05:13 am »

Now I'm disappointed!
I was never an original Mini fan, and have indeed been in a couple of the first ones. They were a disgrace, ...

Rob - apart from your photographic talent, you're a cross between a compendium and a connoisseur !

I agree with you about the original mini but as a design feat there are but a few to match it's impact and longevity - the Leica M, the Beretta and a few others.  In terms of contemporary automobile design, almost anything that came off the drawing boards of Pininfarina and Bertone were,  at one point, exemplar.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:06:45 am by Manoli »

Rob C

« Reply #492 on: December 15, 2013, 05:14:42 am »

Rob - apart from your photographic talent, you're a cross between a compendium and a connoisseur !

I agree with you about the original mini but as a design feat there are but a few to match it's impact and longevity - the Leica M, the Beretta and a few others.  In terms of contemporary automobile design, almost anything that came off the drawing boards of Pininfarina and Bertone were,  at one point, exemplar.

Indeed, my Fiat X1/9 was a Bertone sketch... My father-in-law used to joke that it carried my personal number plate in code: Bert One (Bert is an English contraction for Robert). Paulo B. and 9mm were a match made in heaven. A friend had one for a while, along with a machine gun. He'd commissioned a boat in Hong Kong and was sailing it back to Spain - well, powering it: a trawler yacht. They bought several guns there because of the pirate problem that existed in the South China seas even in the late 70s. I think they got as far as Singapore before deciding to ship it back instead. Anyway, I think the machine gun ended up overboard somewhere in the Mediterranean and I'm not sure about the fate of the Beretta; I wish I had it - especially now as the economy dives and more people cruise the place looking to steal.

Rob C

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #493 on: December 15, 2013, 08:05:21 am »

I agree with you about the original mini but as a design feat there are but a few to match it's impact and longevity - the Leica M, the Beretta and a few others.  

Piaggio Vespa and Ape...

https://www.google.it/search?lr=lang_en&as_qdr=all&hl=it&tbs=lr:lang_1en&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LqutUpidAoLQ7AbtroHYDw&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=626&q=indian%20vespa%20and%20ape%20piaggio
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:16:03 am by muntanela »

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2013, 03:11:36 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #496 on: December 15, 2013, 03:21:49 pm »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #497 on: December 16, 2013, 01:42:11 pm »

Dynamic range nightmare, my old D90 which seldom gets used this days because of the X-E1 held up pretty well despite ISO 700. Still can't find a processing I'm entirely happy with.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #498 on: December 16, 2013, 08:52:57 pm »

I few iPhonography vignettes from snowy Chicago, with a season-appropriate message:

Happy holidays everyone!

Rob C

« Reply #499 on: December 17, 2013, 08:39:03 am »

And greetings to you too, Slobodan. Perhaps I shall attempt to hang a greetings card from around the neck of one of my girls: perhaps that wouldn't be such a bright idea; need a shot where she can hold it beside her instead.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 137   Go Up