Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572138 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #400 on: November 14, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »

Toni,

"The dilema starts because I have notice that to the few people that I have sowed it, the response is plain blankness. No emotions."

That's their problem, not yours. I have argued repeatedly that human photography and still life are 'creative' where I find landscape not to be. I don't wish now to offend anyone any more than I did on postulating this belief the first time; it's only how it affects me, so please don't anyone feel obliged to tell me how mistaken I am - you could be absolutely right, and I just can't see it.

That Coke thing isn't actually any more demanding of me than anything else; it just illustrates my reactions to an object when I place it in a given set. And there's the thing: I have always, genuinely, felt my landscapes to fail because I can only envisage landscape as set for something else. And an empty Coke bottle comes free!

I like your still life work and you have a good grasp of what your tools can do for you. Still life offers a huge scope for lighting skills to shine; all of my stuff is available light of one sort or another, even if a table lamp! I have no studios anymore - I just do what I can where I find it. That is the single capability that the D700 has given me that I never enjoyed before: I hardly ever find myself without enough light to shoot. That's worth a lot!

Regarding Eric's comment about passing an opinion - you may have missed his meaning, but he's right; this box is for everything except opinion in the sense of 'critique' of another photographer's work... You can like it or you can hate it and say so, but you mustn't tell him how to alter it for what you might think is the better! The other boxes invite that!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:38:05 pm by Rob C »

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #401 on: November 14, 2013, 02:44:41 pm »

Thanks Slobodan, thank you Rob, sometimes I miss on the language barrier. I'm spanish.

Rob your are very right about still live imagery, is very personal and creative and should be spontaneous. A good tripod and a good eye.

Thanks for the likes.

ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2013, 07:11:33 pm »

I wondered if I had the same problem with landscapes as Rob did and, if so, what to do about it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:06:53 am by Bruce Cox »

Rob C

« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »

Shave. Shave the edges, I mean.

Rob C

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2013, 01:19:43 pm »

Something interesting  I read: if your work appeals to everyone, then it moves no one. James Victore
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Rob C

« Reply #405 on: November 17, 2013, 10:24:02 am »

Today's postprandial jaunt was cut in half; I persevered until my feet froze, at which point I considered it a case of diminishing returns. So I took a couple of cellpix insted.

When I got home, I discovered that the die from the cheap, black, leather shoes (tourist market bargains) had run through my white socks and into the skin of my feet. I ended up sitting on the edge of the bath, feet in soapy water. This, though it felt strangely - and unusually - sexy, did nothing to remove the stains (top quality cheap die) so I massaged a handful of bleach onto each foot. That worked, and I now have shiny feet unlike at any previous juncture that I care to recall.

Ah, these sweet, careless days of youth!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:42:36 pm by Rob C »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #406 on: November 17, 2013, 10:44:30 am »

Rob - this one is for you - I think you know the place. :)
Should be good for some postprandial activities too ...

Rob C

« Reply #407 on: November 17, 2013, 11:10:45 am »

Your shot's a classic, but I can't figure out the location.

Most mountains here form part of longer chains...

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #408 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:14 am »

Your shot's a classic, but I can't figure out the location.
Most mountains here form part of longer chains...
Rob C

Its west of the main road, somewhere north of Can Picafort on the way to Port de Pollenca.

Rob C

« Reply #409 on: November 17, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »

Its west of the main road, somewhere north of Can Picafort on the way to Port de Pollenca.

I must look more carefully next time I do the ride; it was great when my wife took the rare impulse to drive: I got to see places and things that were never visible long enough – or at all - when I was driving. I have often thought about buying a cycle, with or without engine, just to be able to stop off in the countryside to shoot some of the things a car can't let you near. You did the Tramuntana road with me when you were here – you can’t leave a car anywhere up there. For miles and miles of beautiful countryside, it’s just impossible unless you find a mirador that’s got a space left to park.

But that’s not just Mallorca: when I lived in Scotland I did a locations test-drive along the coast of Argyll, past the ‘ancestral’ home at Inveraray (shot a calendar at Auchindrain nearby) and it was much the same: no parking anywhere. So, zero fashion shots there, unfortunately. Another truly beautiful area is the southern shore of Loch Tay, and there it’s the same: passing places and that’s your lot. In the 50s/60s, because it was pretty remote and few folks drove up there, we used to find rare stopping places and park, climb the fence and go down to the water and have lunch out of one of those delightful little suitcases especially designed for the purpose. The one we had belonged to my in-laws… sweet memories. Years later, when everyone and his dog had wheels, we’d wait for really wet and rainy days and go then; the Trossachs in particular (the Duke’s Pass above Aberfoyle), were spectacular in the gloom. I loved the rain in those days… steamed-up windows, wife and two young kids, Patsy Cline on the cassette player, fantastic sandwiches and hot tea from a flask! Innocence and genuine, unsophisticated pleasures; what you lose as life teaches you other ways.

I hate the rain now.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2013, 02:10:22 pm »

Shot on Kodachrome for stock - F or F2.

Near Alaró in Mallorca, beneath the foothills of the Tramuntana range...

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:42:51 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2013, 03:21:24 pm »

... Innocence and genuine, unsophisticated pleasures...

Watching "Dexter" TV series now. There is one scene where two main characters discuss what would be their dream life. Turns out, both of them longing not to become "rich and famous," but for normal life. Even if boring, even if mundane. Though enjoying simple pleasures has never been boring to me.

How I understand you, Rob!

Rob C

« Reply #412 on: November 18, 2013, 04:12:01 am »

Watching "Dexter" TV series now. There is one scene where two main characters discuss what would be their dream life. Turns out, both of them longing not to become "rich and famous," but for normal life. Even if boring, even if mundane. Though enjoying simple pleasures has never been boring to me.

How I understand you, Rob!

Yes, I guess so.

I didn't understand it in my relationships with older family; I used to wonder why the hell they didn't learn to get over it, and get a life. How shallow that thought, and how empty of experience despite imagining one was sooo very smooth and filled with worldly knowledge, wisdom and understanding.

Far from needing to 'get a life', the problem was acually having lost one. So yeah, glaucoma comes to us in many forms.

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #413 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:14 am »

Ummm... thumbs up?  ;)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2013, 05:14:44 am »

Ummm... thumbs up?  ;)

Mike.

Only if you manage to keep them out of your eye in the excitement of the moment!

;-)

Rob C

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #415 on: November 19, 2013, 08:38:19 am »

Rob - this one is for you - I think you know the place. :)
Should be good for some postprandial activities too ...
Christoph, beautiful Image. Very peaceful.
ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2013, 08:57:37 am »

Christoph, beautiful Image. Very peaceful.
ACH

Hey thanks!
:)

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #417 on: November 19, 2013, 09:13:47 am »

Two shots of the walk of last Sunday to Pian del Lago (do you remember Marina and her hut Rob?), West Grosina Valley, Valtelline Valley.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:15:46 am by muntanela »

Rob C

« Reply #418 on: November 19, 2013, 09:24:14 am »

Two shots of the walk of last Sunday to Pian del Lago (do you remember Marina and her hut Rob?), West Grosina Valley, Valtelline Valley.

Yes, I do, and I would rather have met her - blind date, even? - than just read graffiti about her. But hey, you can't have everything!

I particularly like the top shot: beautiful balance of shapes and colour. I always love simplicity.

Rob C

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #419 on: November 19, 2013, 04:39:43 pm »

The second one is a classic amateur cliché, but a walk in the mountains is also a classic amateur cliché, perhaps only a Marina waiting in the hut of Pian del lago could make it an authentic experience... :'(
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:44:41 pm by muntanela »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 137   Go Up